How do I get yz426 street legal?

hey guys i have a 02 yz426, waqs adjusting my clutchh riding around my lawn, and the cops came over and were gonna seize it...i live in a small town in Minnesota w/about 600 people...all my neighbors have 4 whobblers and the city council granted them permits to ride in town, for $10 a year...but if i even take my bike in my lawn, cops will take it...my question is what do i gotta do to make it street legal so i can rip around?????

If those cops were gonna sieze it, then they would have. Fact is, they have no right to do so, and they know that. They just wanted to intimidate you, like most cops do. It helps them feel better about themselves. A ticket for noise violation; maybe. Siezure; no way.

I wouldn't recommend taking any legal advice from you, my friend. Local and state laws vary, but in general, any improperly registered vehicle that "sets foot" on a public thoroughfare is subject to impound in most jurisdictions, whether running or not at the time. Police also generally have the authority to take appropriate action to ameliorate a public nuisance, which could include the impounding of a loud motor vehicle operating on one's private property under the right circumstances.

next time ride it in your street and see what happens then

you can do what ever you want with your bike in front of your house or your drive way

I would pay attention to what the local police told you. Can't say for sure if they have the legal right to impound your bike or not, but do you really want to test the legality of it anyways. An impound here could cost several hundred bucks, don't know in your neck of the woods. What the Chico police in Cal. did to my son with my YZ250 after catching him riding the bike in an apartment complex after washing the thing, was issue a citation with every possible infraction imagineable for a dirt bike being on the street. NO LIC PLATE, NO MIRROR, NO HORN, NO TAIL LIGHTS, NO BRAKE LIGHTS, NO HEADLIGHT NO DIRECTIONAL SIGNALS, and a host of others. I think it was three citations long. The catch is, there is a fine for every violation that isn't corrected and signed off by the police. If the violations are fixed then there is a flat rate fine, which is significantly smaller than the accumalted rate of the other violations. I bet the boys in blue had a good laugh over a beer at the local pub at the end of the shift. I would even be he made copies of the three page citation to brag to the boys in blue. But in the end, I think my son got the last laugh, as he got the ticket signed off on all the violations.

I wondered if this would be possible in ny as well? I think you have to start with some wr parts such a stator, maybe flywheel, etc?

hey guys i have a 02 yz426, waqs adjusting my clutchh riding around my lawn, and the cops came over and were gonna seize it...i live in a small town in Minnesota w/about 600 people...all my neighbors have 4 whobblers and the city council granted them permits to ride in town, for $10 a year...but if i even take my bike in my lawn, cops will take it...my question is what do i gotta do to make it street legal so i can rip around?????

get a baja designs kit. I don't know how it works where you are. but in Ontario all i had to do to make an XR650R street legal was to get the owner ship change d from an OHV. You wiil need a safety for this ,wich you can get at Joe's garage .And don't forget Joe's 6 pac of tall boys..Look up Baja designs get the kit,and the safety and insurance and your done.

You can check your local laws online by county/city and state.It will tell you what the requirements are to get a title and plate.Some states are easy ,and some you cant at all (CA).My guess is if they allow pemits for ATVs a bike should be no problem.In CO you need a headlight, horn, brakelight, and DOT tires.If the cops are hasseling you in your own yard, I wouldnt cut any corners.Get the plate and tell the cops to get bent! There are also laws against police harrasment, check thoes out while your checking the street legal laws and you can politely let cops know you are aware of your rights!

actually a cop can impound your bike if he or she feels like it, mine was impounded because i could not find my insurance card. i had to pay the tow bill, and the storage fee to get it back. I USE THE WHAT DID I DO WRONG QUESTION.... 80% of the time they pull me over because they think i am a dirt bike riding on the highway..wr450 plated.....14 times since last july and i only got 2 tickets...speeding (couldnt proove) and reckless op (court on june 26th)

do not let them bully you, if you did nothing wrong nothing to worry about it...if you did....well ....make up a lie or say...u ride the bike because you cant afford to drive your car. (tey're picking on you because you dont look legal)

i am no 1 for lying to the cops, but if you got an asshat giving you a ticket for nothing all is fair

-Get a WR 426 stator and flywheel.

-Then get a Voltage regulator from the TT store

-along with an Acerbis headlight,

-Baja designs LED tailight

-Hydraulic pressure switch.

-Acerbis Mirror

-Kenda trackmaster DOT tires.

Thats about all you need. Probably cost ya around 5-600 dollars. Cheeper than a Bajadesigns kit too.

Street legal dirtbikes are loads of fun.

next time ride it in your street and see what happens then

you can do what ever you want with your bike in front of your house or your drive way

I don't know about (Nevada) but the last time I visited my buddies in Mindin NV there weren't very many rules for riding dirt bikes on the street

so listening to someone from NV will probably get you arrested......It's the CITY Bro, not the country........

Baja Designs kit si about $450 and you need a stator from a WR. thats about $600 total. I am converting my 98YZ400 to SM and it will be (Mostly) Street legal

For those of you who say you can not get in trouble for riding in your own yard you are wrong. Atleast where I live in Washington. If the noise is bothering atleast 1 person it is enough for it to be a problem. It is BS and wish it could be changed because the only person who complains about me riding is the neighbor who sleeps durring the day and works at night. For me its a $100 dollar fine that doubles everytime they are called up to $800 then its $800 everytime.

For those of you who say you can not get in trouble for riding in your own yard you are wrong. Atleast where I live in Washington. If the noise is bothering atleast 1 person it is enough for it to be a problem. It is BS and wish it could be changed because the only person who complains about me riding is the neighbor who sleeps durring the day and works at night. For me its a $100 dollar fine that doubles everytime they are called up to $800 then its $800 everytime.

It is BS...

I'm sure there's plenty of Harley's running around with straight pipes rattling your windows.

I've got a plate for my 426, but I never ride it on the street. I have it in case I need to use dirt roads to connect to trails. At least they cant give me an unregistered vehicle ticket.

So would it be a BS law if he started making a huge racket at 2AM when you are trying to get some sleep before going to work? When will people realize that they are not the only human being on the face of the planet?

If your bike is or was manufactured for Off Road Use Only...

DMV will not issue registration for a vehicle when the application submitted includes an Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin (MCO) indicating the vehicle does not meet federal vehicle standards or was manufactured for off-road use. However...Don't give up yet

DMV may issue a title for these vehicles. Registration may be issued if proof of compliance with federal standards for the vehicle is submitted.

There are several ways proof of compliance for an imported motorcycle/moped may be provided:

1. An MCO that contains a statement that the vehicle was manufactured to meet U.S. federal safety and emission standards.

2. An Oregon licensed dealer may view the federal safety standards certification label and the EPA certification label affixed to the motorcycle/moped that they are selling. After viewing the certification labels, the dealer may complete a Dealer Certification of Compliance with Federal Emission and Safety Standards, Form 7290, for submission with the application for title and registration.

3. A U.S. Customs and Border Protection Form CF7501 or CBP7501, Entry Summary that contains:

A vehicle description that includes the year model, make and vehicle identification number, and

An approval stamp or signature of an authorized U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent.

An original letter from the manufacturer or authorized U.S. distributor that clearly identifies the vehicle (including the VIN) and states that the vehicle was manufactured to meet federal safety and emission standards.

An original letter from the manufacturer or U.S. distributor that clearly identifies the vehicle (including the VIN) and states that the vehicle meets EPA standards and can be modified to meet federal safety standards. The letter must be accompanied with a certification that the vehicle has been modified and complies with federal vehicle standards. The customer may complete a Certification of Compliance with Federal Emission and Safety Standards, Form 7286, for this purpose.

For vehicles imported by the U.S. military or U.S. military personnel, a written notice or form issued by the U.S. military that states the vehicle complies with federal vehicle standards. Hope this answers a few questions and be sure to check your local laws.....

Ok I really just have one thing to say:

IT'S A "YZ" meaning "don't ride me on any street or in any town", the name YZ screams "let me outrun those cops on any dirt road int he country or hill, hell it doesn't need a trail realistically. DON't humiliate your bike by making it street legal