yamaha frames breaking!!!!!!

that almost looks like you scribbled with a pen. that sucks to have that crack like that.

that almost looks like you scribbled with a pen. that sucks to have that crack like that.

Yes, thanks, feel much better now! ( just kidding).

Definitely a small crack, but it is still there, #%@#@#!''

Unfortunately all small cracks do is get bigger...(insert joke here)

makes me wanna go check my frame.

Better be safe than sorry

Here is a pic..

DSCF1418.jpg

Ridden once a week, by a vet rider. I do tend to run into the square edges and come up short sometimes, but always rode it out.

THis happened after I hit a pot hole on an 80 ft. step up landing area, as well as 3 cracks in the front wheel nipple holes.

So after 2+ years will Yamaha do anything or should I even contact?

THanks for any input.

Thanks for posting a picture of the problem.

Does sound like it was quite a heavy impact.

I will go out on a limb and say that you'll get it fixed much quicker if you contact a TIG welder and don't bother with Yamaha.

Dirt bike mag. had a reader submit a picture of his 450f with a crack down weld next to stearing stem, when asked yamaha knows of this problem and it ahs been linked to a cold weld problem at the factory

that picture with the hairline crack in the weld isn't the worst i seen. My boss owns an 08 450 and came up a little short on the big table top at speedworld in phoenix. once he got to the corner it wouldn't turn worth a crap. He had the same issue almost all the way down the weld it cracked and separated. I have also had a customer come into the store with the article from a dirt magazine discussing this same problem and stated that his did the same. Both frames were warranted out by yamaha with no problems. This discussions posting is for real. people break frames but this was a obvious faulty weld that isn't real common but there are enough cases out there that yamaha shouldn't have a problem taking care of.

that picture with the hairline crack in the weld isn't the worst i seen. My boss owns an 08 450 and came up a little short on the big table top at speedworld in phoenix. once he got to the corner it wouldn't turn worth a crap. He had the same issue almost all the way down the weld it cracked and separated. I have also had a customer come into the store with the article from a dirt magazine discussing this same problem and stated that his did the same. Both frames were warranted out by yamaha with no problems. This discussions posting is for real. people break frames but this was a obvious faulty weld that isn't real common but there are enough cases out there that yamaha shouldn't have a problem taking care of.

The only reason I noticed it was a a thorough inspection of the bike after each ride.

I noticed this particular crack after hitting that pot-holish landing on the longer triple step up at ACP. These NW Phoenix tracks sure take their toll, don't they? Of course the rest of frame is fine. Thanks for the info.

If I get a new frame from Yamaha, I am will be very happy, but won't look forward to swapping the frames. We'll see? I am going to talk to the dealer tomorrow, as well as calling the YamahaCust. serv. number.

Well, Strike one against the Yamaha customer service relations.

They deny there is any issue, and that it is my fault. (coming up short, hard riding, etc.) Irregardless that the original wheels, seat cover, plastics, handlebars, motor, and LEVERS are still intact!

I called the service manager at the new local dealership and he is going to make some calls for me, so we will see. I am calling back the customer relations number back tomorrow - they can't get rid of me that easy.

I will part this bike out and buy a non - yamaha 2 stroke, after putting the frame in the ground at my local track like a tombstome memorial to the lack of Yamaha customer service before rolling over on this one.

I will keep this thread posted...

The frame issues of Yamah's aluminum frames has been discussed several times in MXA. They claim it's a cold-weld issue at the factory. The frames break right at the weld between the neck and back bone.

I spoke with a friend of mine that owns a Yamaha dealership, and he has never heard of this happening. I had a 2006, and now a 2008 and mines not cracked. I'm sure it's an isolated incident.

They deny there is any issue, and that it is my fault. ... Irregardless that the original wheels, ... are still intact!

¿Hmm? I thought you said,

THis happened ...as well as 3 cracks in the front wheel nipple holes.

The frame issues of Yamah's aluminum frames has been discussed several times in MXA. They claim it's a cold-weld issue at the factory. The frames break right at the weld between the neck and back bone.

You are correct.This is old news if you read MXA regularly.

¿Hmm? I thought you said,

Well...That's a gray one. :lol:

They are after all, still intact. (Still round)

I cracked a front rim on my old 03 cr250 ( not excels ) with no damage to the frame.

Well the official word is a no from Yamaha customer service, and the local dealer called as well and got a no, with Yamaha's explaination that they had replace some frames that were 1 year old or newer, but since mine is over 2 years old, they can't do it.

Well the bright side is that according to my research, Yamaha 2 str. frames for those years are fine, and I really want to go back to a 2 stroke.

The other bright side is that the bike didn't break underneath me and send me to the ER. Busted bodies are definitely more expensive, and take longer to fix, than frames. ( As most of us know)