HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DBM

650R/650L rear wheel swap?

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know if stock wheels from a watercooled XR650R will fit a 2007 air cooled XR650L?

It appears that I was sold used 650R wheels that I was told were 650L wheels. Am I screwed?

DBM

I would like to know too. Seems there is a seller with lots of XR650R wheels and hardly any XR650L.

I wondered before if you could just change the bearings inner race size. I can't see why a few MM's would matter unless you are racing weekly. I'm sure one of the bearing makers have something. I have a rear CR500 rim I would love to use as a swap. I'll have to look into it.

There is a possibility here. It will almost certainly require some custom spacers, but what about this.

650R bearings

6004 20x42x12

6204 20x47x14

650L Bearings

6203 17x40x12

6303 17x47x12

You can take the 6204 bearing out of the 650R hub and the 6303 will fit in it's place. The only issue there is the 2mm thinner bearing. Not an issue since it looks like you will be needing special spacers anyway.

The other bearing is more of an issue. There is no standard bearing that is 17mm ID and 42mm OD. However, there appear to be some specialty ones. The XR250 used a 17x42x12 bearing in the transmission. It would work, but it will be a non sealed design.

There is a possibility here. It will almost certainly require some custom spacers, but what about this.

650R bearings

6004 20x42x12

6204 20x47x14

650L Bearings

6203 17x40x12

6303 17x47x12

You can take the 6204 bearing out of the 650R hub and the 6303 will fit in it's place. The only issue there is the 2mm thinner bearing. Not an issue since it looks like you will be needing special spacers anyway.

The other bearing is more of an issue. There is no standard bearing that is 17mm ID and 42mm OD. However, there appear to be some specialty ones. The XR250 used a 17x42x12 bearing in the transmission. It would work, but it will be a non sealed design.

You looking at stock honda parts? I've had good luck getting bearings of any size or shape through a local international company. The tech guy rides street and always mics up or uses the PN and usually gives me premium bearings cheaper than honda. They have $hitloads of odd sizes. I stumbled upon this through a guy at work during a failure on a machine. The manufacturer had a 2 week lead time, but BDI had it in stock for 1/4 the price!!!I'll have to pull my CR bearings and L bearings and see if he has a workable match. The spacers are no problem. Honda doesn't even stock my 87 CR spacers. I just used the dimensions of the worn ones and banged out a few on the lathe. This could be my cheap solution to using those rims, and using the motor for a 2-seat offroad cart!!!:worthy: