HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
teamjester223

Silencer Packing

11 posts in this topic

Our YZ450 packing blows out approximately every 5 hours. The bike is completely stock. Is anyone else experiencing the same the same intervals. The bike is completely stock and I can't figure out why it blows out so quickly.

What are you using for packing? I get around 20 hours out of my packing and it isn't all that bad when I pull it out.

I have a DRD full exaust system on mine and about a month ago my bike suddenly got louder while I was letting it Idle after changing the oil. I said to myself it has to be the packing,so when I took the muffler off and tried to ease the packing out(which was impossible) I had to keep pulling it out in strings. I was hoping to pull the whole thing out without messing up the packing so I could examine it to see if it had blown a hole in it when it got louder. At the time mine got loder I beleive I had 15 to 20 hours on it...... I would have to look at my log book to be sure because I wrote down when I replaced the packing.....But anyway I thought that was way to soon to have to repack I thought I could have went atleast 50 hours before doing it. I'll have to see how long I can go this time and by the way..... when I ordered the DRD exaust I went ahead and ordered the DRD exaust packing it was just like the one that was in the exaust it was wrapped in some kind of high temp fabric.... probbally fiberglass.

I have a DRD full exaust system on mine and about a month ago my bike suddenly got louder while I was letting it Idle after changing the oil. I said to myself it has to be the packing,so when I took the muffler off and tried to ease the packing out(which was impossible) I had to keep pulling it out in strings. I was hoping to pull the whole thing out without messing up the packing so I could examine it to see if it had blown a hole in it when it got louder. At the time mine got loder I beleive I had 15 to 20 hours on it...... I would have to look at my log book to be sure because I wrote down when I replaced the packing.....But anyway I thought that was way to soon to have to repack I thought I could have went atleast 50 hours before doing it. I'll have to see how long I can go this time and by the way..... when I ordered the DRD exaust I went ahead and ordered the DRD exaust packing it was just like the one that was in the exaust it was wrapped in some kind of high temp fabric.... probbally fiberglass.

Hey the same thing just happened to me with my Dr d I have about 15hrs on it. Yesterday the track owner gave me shit. Anybody else had this problem? Your packing should not go in 5 rides . I still love this pipe though

Hey the same thing just happened to me with my Dr d I have about 15hrs on it. Yesterday the track owner gave me shit. Anybody else had this problem? Your packing should not go in 5 rides . I still love this pipe though
Iam going to see how long I can go this time on the repack and take it from there.

I posted a reply on this several years ago and here it is again...

three day old PIZZA CRUST works great...especially Pizza Hut

plain crust....Round Table works pretty good also,but you need to scrape off the sauce......People will follow you around if you

leave it on.....

I have used the FMF packing with the stainless screen, the the wire mesh and the packing around that and I have also used the moose packing that comes in a sleeve and you just slide it on. Neither lasts more than 5 hours.

Is the exhaust hotter when you idle, could that be causing it? I do idle the bike for a minute or two to check the oil.

I have used the FMF packing with the stainless screen, the the wire mesh and the packing around that and I have also used the moose packing that comes in a sleeve and you just slide it on. Neither lasts more than 5 hours.

Is the exhaust hotter when you idle, could that be causing it? I do idle the bike for a minute or two to check the oil.

Thanks for letting us know what all kind of packing you have tried. I was thinking of switching to the moose packing but now since youve tried it and it still blows I will just stay with the DRD packing. The queston on the exhaust being hotter when its idleing.......> I wouldnt think so. I also let mine idle for a minute or two when I check the oil. I was just wondering if the bike is jetted lean if that would cause the packing to blow? I noticed when I took my packing out that it looked allfull dry around the outside sleeve of the packing,because when I was pulling the old packing out you could see smoke or dust coming off the sleeve. Is the packing supposed to be a little oily?

Thanks for letting us know what all kind of packing you have tried. I was thinking of switching to the moose packing but now since youve tried it and it still blows I will just stay with the DRD packing. The queston on the exhaust being hotter when its idleing.......> I wouldnt think so. I also let mine idle for a minute or two when I check the oil. I was just wondering if the bike is jetted lean if that would cause the packing to blow? I noticed when I took my packing out that it looked allfull dry around the outside sleeve of the packing,because when I was pulling the old packing out you could see smoke or dust coming off the sleeve. Is the packing supposed to be a little oily?

I haven't changed anything on the bike at all. That is what is puzzling me. We had a RMZ250 before and never went thru packing like this.