About to Buy a Husqvarna 610sm anything to watch 4

About to buy a Husqvarna 610sm anything to watch 4

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looking at buying a sm610 husqvarna Motard, anything to watch out for ??

Ive heard that getting parts can be a long painfull task ?

anything good or bad to watch out for ?

read one horror story on here about them,

Its New with a 2 year warrinty , but thats not worth a cup full of cold piss if it spends half it not going,

its been a big desision to Quit the ZX10R to go down to a motard ,after a long list if big road bike , i thought it was time to slow down , and get quicker through the slower stuff , since im in New Zealand there no sortage of tight twistys.

Thanks

I'm no expert on Huskys, but from what I hear the 610 makes an excellent street bike and the 510 is a great race bike(less lbs., more maint.)

Have heard they're reliable.I almost bought one. Scared off by lack of dealers around me.

Hey this is my first post:applause: I pick up my SM610 Friday from a loacal shope here in Salem Oregon,.I'm like a child waiting for Christmas to come,..All my work buddies are getting sick of me yakking about it,.,....When I show up for work come Monday and they ask to take it for a spin,.Il'll make them wait till the break-in is over,..LOL!

Picks to come,.................Dan

police cars ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looking at buying a sm610 husqvarna Motard, anything to watch out for ??

Ive heard that getting parts can be a long painfull task ?

anything good or bad to watch out for ?

read one horror story on here about them,

Its New with a 2 year warrinty , but thats not worth a cup full of cold piss if it spends half it not going,

its been a big desision to Quit the ZX10R to go down to a motard ,after a long list if big road bike , i thought it was time to slow down , and get quicker through the slower stuff , since im in New Zealand there no sortage of tight twistys.

Thanks

I'm up in Portland... when you go down Salem way on Fri would you take a quick invent of the Huskys? As soon as I finish my new garage up here, I just may put a new Husq in it. I like damned near all of them... I'd probably get a TE250 if any were avail, but also like the SMs a HELL of a lot. Not sure of the weight factor on the 610... it looks a lot bigger than the 450/510. Would appreciate your impressions on that point. I'll have to bop on down sometime in the near future.

PS, is there any parking security stuff on any of them? Keys, steering lock, anything?

I'm from Oregon, too (Portland). I've also got a SM on order, but it's Austrian not Swiss. I love Huskies & once has a 350 dual sport. The 610 looks hot. Lack of dealers in my area made me want to go KTM instead, so I'm waiting for my new 690 to get here. Wackyd & Ivor237a: I'd like to meet up w/ you fellas sometime for a ride & compare notes on the good places around here to get the best use of a Supermoto. I plan to do some light offroading on mine.

...since im in New Zealand there no sortage of tight twistys.

Thanks

I think you'll like the SM if you've got lots of tight twistys. Fast and flickable.

We should get togather,.That woud be fun. I got my Motard today:ride: I love this bike! The only bad thing I can say about the SM610 is the seat,.Hard as a rock,..Heres a You tube vid from today,..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsebVfRyjCU

Great looking bike. I love the pipe. What brand is that? Or is it a stock one with the heat shield removed?

Been debating on trading in my DRZ on the 610, and the one thing that I find ugly about the 610 is that stock pipe. Man is it fugly.

Great looking bike. I love the pipe. What brand is that? Or is it a stock one with the heat shield removed?

Been debating on trading in my DRZ on the 610, and the one thing that I find ugly about the 610 is that stock pipe. Man is it fugly.

Yes I removed the heat shield and then cut 5" 1/2 in of the stock MUff,.Seems to work fine,.Little more bottom end. Heres a Youtube vid,.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=74p_CalMylk

Let me know what ya think of my poor mans mod:ride:

I bought one to replace my DRZsm. 702 miles on the SM610 and while I'm happy with it overall, there has been a few issues. First, it's buzzier than the DRZ (no surprise) and while it definitely has more power, it's not scary powerful.

The seat has to go. After 50 miles...ouch! The Renazco has been ordered!

I'm not crazy about the fit and finish. Coming from mainly Hondas, I'm used to even seams, straight, well fitting panels and exceptional paint. I spent an evening just tightening fasteners and a noticed one is now missing. If Harley Davidson buys Husqvarna, they won't have to change a thing.

So far I've trimmed 7# off the bike by removing the pillion foot pegs (passenger seat...what passenger seat) and the charcoal canister with an inordinate amount of tubing must have fallen off (thank you Ted West).

I'm getting used to having two different chokes though most of the time, neither is required. I checked the speedo with my GPS and it's spot on, aside from an occassional momentary indication so far off, it defies logic. I'll be cruising at 55 mph when the speedo will register 84 or 112...just for a second and then go back to 55

The other, more serious issue is that at 620 miles, the electronics shut down. Found a spent fuse and replaced it, only to have it do it again and again.....when the bars are turned to the right. I finally traced it to the main wiring harness being over stressed at the steering head. The bundle was routed under the top mount for the left radiator and then through the plactic loom on the steering head. This puts undue stress on the harness and a short resulted.

I removed the upper mount bolt, loosened the lower one as well as the upper hose strap and was able to re-route the bundle above the radiator. This relieved the harness but didn't solve the problem until I removed the harness from the plastic loom and used a nylon tie to attach the harness to the top of the closed plastic loom. For the last 80 miles, there have been no issues. But now I carry a wad of 15amp fuses...just in case.

It's due for it's first oil change this weekend. Still, I'm having loads of fun on the bike, I'm getting to know the workings of the bike a little faster than expected and it's a head turner.

Later, -BRU

• 4 months later...

I'm looking at a used TE250 tomorrow, but there is a used SM610 at a good price that I'm interested in too. Probably a much better machine for my needs... it's just hard for me to not love a dirt bike with license plate as I practically grew up racing 125s. Anyway, there's a good chance I'll have a Husq in the garage by tomorrow evening! :-)

PS, Hooking up with some of you PDX guys in the future sounds like a good idea.