HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Davies

Brake Cleaner safe to Clean Carb?

9 posts in this topic

I have a gummed up carb with old gas and goo from my 01 wr250f and have it on the table but am not located in an area that sells carb cleaner. can i use brake cleaner? any other good chemicals methods other than buying carb cleaner? I will use a compressor too. Thanks

contact cleaner (electrical contact, not eye contact) is sold at auto parts stores and it doesn't leave a residue like brake cleaner. That said, with the internet I think you could get some carb cleaner in a couple of days.

do you think brake cleaner (says leaves no reisdue) will work? I have a spray bottle of it. it does say may harm rubber o rings... hmmm.. is this a sketchy idea or can i do it?

Brake cleaner and carb cleaner both eat o-rings. Most cleaners do.

If you can't find any carb cleaner, brake cleaner will work to clean your carb, but starting fluid works better.

Brake cleaner and contact cleaner both say to keep away from rubber. I would order the carb cleaner

i have Maxima Contact Brake Cleaner and its removes oil, grease, carbon deposits, cleans Brakes, Ignitions, and Carbs...its safe for any rubber o rings....and it has a nice citrus scent :)

its also non-corrosive and non-staining...on the back its says its safe to use on Engine parts, carbs, brake parts, ignition parts, spark pluygs, lockes, electrical components, and more

Take the rubber out of the carb before you clean it, buy a bucket of carb cleaner (like one the paint can thingies) take it apart and let it sit in the can for like 2 hours then come put it back together again. With brake cleaner or carb cleaner you will need to avoid contact with the rubber components.

Isn't BRAKE cleaner for...er...um...well BRAKES!

Leave it for a week or two in some kero or mineral turps and all will be sweet.

contact cleaner (electrical contact, not eye contact) is sold at auto parts stores and it doesn't leave a residue like brake cleaner. That said, with the internet I think you could get some carb cleaner in a couple of days.

Brake clean cleans better than carb cleaner. It removes all residue, hence people use it on brakes. I do think it is harder on seals, o-rings, etc. though!