XR650L Windshield & paniers

Well I just keep coming back to this bike. I owned and sold a 1985 XL600, '04 XR650L and just bought an '07 XR650L.

I want to set this one up for adventure touring mutiple day rides in Death Valley.

So far I have added:

1. ProTapers

2. Acerbis Rally Pro Hand Guards

3. Skid Plate

4. Smog Block Off

5. Uni Air Filter

6. TKC80 Tires and HD Brigestone Tubes

7. Rim locks on front and rear rims

8. Pro Moto Billet Rear Rack

9. IMS 4.0 Gal Fuel Tank (Natural)

10. IMS Foot Pegs

I also plan to add paniers and a windshield but don't know what to buy and would like to hear from others as to what you have bought and how you like it. I am considering the Cee Baily and Maier windshields and am considering Dirt Bagz paniers.

So far, I have left the jetting, exhaust and air box stock because it seems like it is very hard to get this bike running well once modified even though you get more horse power.

I modified my 2004 XR650L carb, exhaust and air box with the recommended mods but never could get it to run well at high altitude. Day rides for me consist of riding from 250 ft to over 10,000 feet and back down again. So far the stock settings are working OK as the bike runs smooth.

I have ordered the temp dip stick so I can moniter engine temp with the stock settings. Milage so far has been averaging 54 MPG.

I have a 1983 XL600. What was your impression of the 1985 XL600 and how does it compare to the newer one? Did you make any changes to your 1985 which you'd recommend?

Back in '85, I didn't even know you could make any mods to the mighty XL600 so I didn't. I rode it completely stock for a few years and then sold it.

The main difference between the XL600 and the XR650L is the 650 has an electric starter and a few more cc's. I'm sure they improved reliability and the suspension but they are still basically very similiar bikes. I used to hike my wife on the 600 for some of my first dual sport rides in the Central California mountains.

Back in '85, I didn't even know you could make any mods to the mighty XL600 so I didn't. I rode it completely stock for a few years and then sold it.

The main difference between the XL600 and the XR650L is the 650 has an electric starter and a few more cc's. I'm sure they improved reliability and the suspension but they are still basically very similiar bikes. I used to hike my wife on the 600 for some of my first dual sport rides in the Central California mountains.

The 650L has vastly better suspension than the older damper rod fork XL600. I'd call the reliability on the 650L less, but only because of the electric start and the lack of a kick start. The 650L CDI is also known to fail. The XL600 also had it's failure points, like the stator. The overall reliability of both bikes is very high.