HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
warrior04

Test rode a yz450f

18 posts in this topic

So i went up to my dealer today and my buddy who works up there let me test ride an 07 yz450. Wow! that was the only thing i could say when i got off. The power is so smooth and fun to ride, but it still is fast as hell. Im sold on this bike and am going to pick it up sometime next week.

Yeah i cant wait to pick it up. Is there anything i should watch out for reliability wise?

The stock chain is trash. Take a new one home with you and install it before you ride it so it doesn't destroy two perfectly good sprockets in the first two weeks. I recommend Regina's ORN-6, or, if for some reason you don't want a sealed chain, their RX-3.

The timing plugs in the ignition cover have a history of not being quite tight enough to stay put as delivered, so check those.

The inside of the air box, including the filter, seems to get dirty a lot quicker than my '03.

The stock tires don't last very long, and the 739 front is really not good off of really hard surfaces.

That's about it.

Yeah i cant wait to pick it up. Is there anything i should watch out for reliability wise?

Throw the chain away before it ruins the sprockets. :)

That's about it.

Wait, I remember what the other thing was: fork seals. The OEM seals don't hold up very well for a lot of people. I used MSR 's on mine and they have worked well. The MSR dust wipers are much more effective than stock, too. I believe the stock '04 seal would work, too. It's a much more robustly made piece.

I believe the stock '04 seal would work, too. It's a much more robustly made piece.

Yea, I am using the 04 seals on my bike and so far they have worked great. I will have to let you know how long they last.

the o.e.m seals on the 07 bikes have alittle more clearence to pick up the smaller bumps so the dont last as long , but with alittle care you should get 40 hrs. out of them.

the o.e.m seals on the 07 bikes have alittle more clearence to pick up the smaller bumps so the dont last as long , but with alittle care you should get 40 hrs. out of them.

My 06 seals had about 30 hours on them when I sent my suspension in to get revalved. They changed my seals, but my seals did not leak. I tried to clean them every ride because I knew how crappy they were.

So I guess if you pay a little attention to them, they will last for awhile.

You do not need a new chain, the stock chain is a d.i.d chain/perfeclty good

you dont need new tires either

get the bike and enjoy and dont fuss over lil things like that

DID makes chains of all quality levels. The OEM YZF chain is way under spec'ed for the job, and will require and adjustment every time you ride the bike hard, regardless of how well you maintain it. The result will be a chain worn beyond the limit of 2% over length in a very few hours use, and the sprocket wear that goes with it.

But you're entitled to your opinion.

No doubt on the stock chain quality...two track runs at 2-3 hrs each and the chain was stretched beyond belief...just got my regina yesterday...definately a must have upgrade.

Rune

Good Luck:applause: :):ride:

I would move the breather hose and install it in the airbox if you plan on doing any trail riding. I stalled out in a giant puddle when I first got my bike, the result was milky engine oil.