valve check/adjustment

Just got a 99 WR 400, guy didnt check valves regularly and doesnt know when he did it last (not within 2 years, but not ridden hardly at all during that time). my question is are there things you start to notice while the bike is running that is a result of valves out of spec? Basically should i worry about learning how to tear into it and checking the valves etc even if the bike starts first kick and runs good? Thank, btw loving the wr, rips on the oregon dunes, getting a jd jet kit this week and maybe a yz pipe (cheap pipe option, havent looked much into performance gains yet)

Just got a 99 WR 400, guy didnt check valves regularly and doesnt know when he did it last (not within 2 years, but not ridden hardly at all during that time). my question is are there things you start to notice while the bike is running that is a result of valves out of spec? Basically should i worry about learning how to tear into it and checking the valves etc even if the bike starts first kick and runs good? Thank, btw loving the wr, rips on the oregon dunes, getting a jd jet kit this week and maybe a yz pipe (cheap pipe option, havent looked much into performance gains yet)

If the bike starts first kick and runs strong then the valves are probably fine, I would certainly learn how to check them as part of reg maintenance however.

The YZ pipe is a great option for these bikes as a cheap way to go, I have 2 spare complete YZ pipes so if and when you want one let me know and I can sell you one pretty cheap.

Heres my 2001

402666525_d493f1f66e_o.jpg