Help, oh lords of Yamaha knowledge.......

Here is a quick run down of my problem. About two weeks ago I had a screw come partially out of my Rekluse pressure plate and scrape a fairly large groove into the inside of my clutch cover, causing a pretty good amount of aluminum shavings to be found in my oil, and oil filter. A friend told me to drain all the oil (which I of course had already done), fill it up with mineral spirits and kick it over repeatidly while holding the kill switch to cylce the cleaner through. Then I drained the cleaner, cleaned my filter, and filled her up with oil. I then started it for a minute of two, ran through the gears once up and down, then drained that oil and cleaned my filter. I then filled it back up and went riding as usual. Now I have done either two or three oil changers since then, but I am still finding shavings in my filter. How long will this continue, or do I have another issue. They are aluminum for sure, there is nothing on my mangetic drain plug and the bike seems to be running great, no other issues. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Once again I am counting on the knowledge of TT to help me in my learning process. :applause:

Whatever is in your filter has been through your return oil pump, is or was in your oil tank, and has been through your feed oil pump, too. That's how it gets there. Hopefully, the filter will have caught the bulk of it, and none will have gone to the lube points.

It's a soft material (actually magnesium, if it's from the cover), and will likely not have done a lot of damage. Ideally, you would have torn it down and cleaned it out, but it's probably mostly gone now. A tear down would likely still be wise, but perhaps not truly necessary.

You could pull both sides of the crankcase open in the frame, and open the oil pump up for inspection. From the left side, you can see right into the return pickup screen and see what's still laying there. It also wouldn't hurt to funnel some warm ATF into the tank through the dipstick hole, letting it run out through the open drain plug.

Whatever is in your filter has been through your return oil pump, is or was in your oil tank, and has been through your feed oil pump, too. That's how it gets there. Hopefully, the filter will have caught the bulk of it, and none will have gone to the lube points.

It's a soft material (actually magnesium, if it's from the cover), and will likely not have done a lot of damage. Ideally, you would have torn it down and cleaned it out, but it's probably mostly gone now. A tear down would likely still be wise, but perhaps not truly necessary.

You could pull both sides of the crankcase open in the frame, and open the oil pump up for inspection. From the left side, you can see right into the return pickup screen and see what's still laying there. It also wouldn't hurt to funnel some warm ATF into the tank through the dipstick hole, letting it run out through the open drain plug.

Thanks Gray, I had an aftermarket SBC Racing cover on there, so it was aluminum, but I forgot to tell you that. As you may or may not recall, I am not much of a mechanic (READ: Dumbass), so do you think I would be alright checking the pickup screen on my own. Thanks again, BnB.

Well, you don't sound stupid. If you are careful, and follow the manual, checking the area around the screen is pretty uncomplicated. Just remove the ignition cover and look in on it at 5:00 o'clock to the flywheel.

Removing the oil pump is a bigger job, but not out of reach of most reasonably competent people who can patiently follow instructions.