Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
allilley

Spark plug recommendation

3 posts in this topic

I have a 2000 650L and am not sure which plug I should be using. I ride both on/off road. Typically I will run 2-3 hours at highway speeds to get to where I will be riding Forest Service gravel and dirt at 15-30 mph. My Owners Manual recommends one plug as standard, one as cold weather, and one for extended high speed. Also, I only get about 35 mpg. Any thoughts, suggestions? Oh yeah, keep it simple because I am a technilogical idiot.:applause:

My Owners Manual recommends one plug as standard, one as cold weather, and one for extended high speed. Also, I only get about 35 mpg. Any thoughts, suggestions? Oh yeah, keep it simple because I am a technilogical idiot.:applause:

The standard plug is of course the standard plug, the "cold weather" plug is a hotter heat range, and the "extended high speed" is a colder heat range. Providing that the carb is jetted correctly, it's good if the plug is a brownish tan color. Too cold a plug will allow deposits to build up it and too hot of a plug can cause pinging

I think 35mpg is about all you can expect out of a big XR at highway speed. Wind resistance is murder with these tall offroad bikes.

If I may differ on the gas mileage thing - my first tank before break in, with the richer jetting too I got 53 mpg.