HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
timothypg

handlebar vibe fix

9 posts in this topic

Sick of numb fingures. I squirt expanding foam inside the stock bars, wraped some self sticking rubber tape near the clamps on the bars and i rode all day on the roads yesterday w/no numb fingers. If you try this just take off the grips, squirt, cut off excess and there you go.

that is ingenious! thanks for the tip!:applause: :applause: :p :p :p

can you show a pic of the tape? is it in the clamp holding the bar?

Great Idea!

I found that the Acerbis bark busters and Renthal 7/8" bars have near zero vibration also. I believe my reduction in vibration is primarly due to adding weight to the bar ends to change the harmonics of the bars.

that makes sense. i add weight to certain items on vehicles to change/reduce NVH(noise/vibration/harshness) on toyotas that i work on.

This is one of the primary reasons many street bikes have the large weights screwed into the end of the handlebars.

I found that aluminum bars, in general, had lower vibration levels, especially with solid mount handguards.

I don't have any pictures but the tape is on the bars on the outside of the bar clamps. i just wraped it around a couple times, don't really notice it. I think the foam does the most but a little hear and there adds up.

thanks timothypg. i did the expanding foam tonite but havent ridden it yet. that s*** expanded more than i thought into my throttle grip but i just cleaned it out. im looking forward to no more dumb/numb fingers! thanks again for the idea!:applause:

Another vibration-reducing concept I have come across is using shot in the bars. Birdshot, buckshot, or a combination of shot sizes---supposedly the lead shot dampens, and adds mass/weight to the bars which is a known vibration aid.

Good thing about lead shot is that it is inexpensive, available, and easily 100% removable/adjustable.