Trials rear tire on WR450F?

I went for a 30 mile ride today...The trials tire is great. I'll be adding one to the front soon, the grip is amazing and makes trails with logs and rocks easier.

Chris

I've been thinking about trying one out myself, but I want a wider tire. I found a Cheng Shin C186 in a 4.5 width, which is about a 120. Since I run Maxxis IT's most of the time and they're a subsidiary of Cheng Shin, perhaps this would be doable. Another kicker is the Cheng Shin is only about $40 :)...SC

It looks like a skinny "girly" tire. But don't let that fool you. Run it at about 12lbs and it has a huge foot print on the ground and wraps itself around everything. You'll have maximum contact with the ground.

Don't look at it, just ride it.

How well do they hold up in shale, coal, and very rocky terrain??

Are they better for soft sand-like coal hill climbs??

How well do they hold up in shale, coal, and very rocky terrain??

Are they better for soft sand-like coal hill climbs??

Better then any knobby.

note- I run my pirelli at 6psi with no problems.

... but I want a wider tire. I found a Cheng Shin C186 in a 4.5 width, which is about a 120.....

Competition trials tires are 4.00 x 18".

They are 2 ply radial resulting in a remarkable wrap around small obstacles type grip. Not sure it the Cheng Shin is 2 ply radial...

Tough Guy - sounds like you like the tire! :)

I have used IRC TR-1 trials tires off and on for years. The only place they aren't good is in sand. I always put the TR-1s on when I'm headed for hardpack or rocky areas. However, Florida sugar sand sucks with trials tires.

The only thing that ive found is that when your leaned over really far,they seem to skid a little more than a knobby with lugs going over almost to the sidewalls,straight line traction is impressive,I dont see how,but it hooks up dare I say better than a knobby in some instances,maby I need my head examined.Oh,Im running a michelin X-11,its not cheap,but I feel its worth it.

Competition trials tires are 4.00 x 18".

They are 2 ply radial resulting in a remarkable wrap around small obstacles type grip. Not sure it the Cheng Shin is 2 ply radial...

Tough Guy - sounds like you like the tire! :)

Yeah, so far so good. I think for lower speed technical riding they are hard to beat...I also think the trials tire is a good match for the Rekluse clutch.

Chris

how are trials tires for just trail riding such as logging roads, moderate hills maybe a few steep ones, maybe some wet or muddy conditions? some trails i ride can have a lot of small to mediuam and a few larger rocks how would that go? thanks

Try a trials tire, you'll like it! :)

Chris

Tough Guy, where are you located in MT? How do the trials tires work in the mub ans snow? Are you better off with a knobby in these conditions?

OOPS! Make that mud and snow...

I am in Hamilton, I only have around 100 miles on the rear tire so far. It has performed better so far than the nobby it replaced.

Chris

I have over 200 miles on the trials tire now...The leading edges of the tread are starting to round, but otherwise the tire looks to be in perfect condition. I have been running ~10psi and it sticks like glue to the ground. I have been climbing stuff I didn't think was possible, and my bike is a tractor in the slow steep technical grinding mountain terrain. The ride is fantastic, I will probably not use a nobby again in the rear.

Chris

I have a friend who just installed both front and rear Dunlop Trials tires on his DRZ400. He replaced his stock tires. I and he were absolutely amazed at how much traction he got. Last ride he could barely go through even a few inches of snow, but this time was riding across drifts and digging through the soft stuff. I used to ride right up tight, because his stocker had not traction and nothing flew up. The trials did not throw rocks like a knobby, but it threw enough and actually seemed to grip better. He did not want to try a couple hills because he worried about traction (based on stock tires). He smoked up them like he had the baddest knobby on. I have some tires to use up but I will try one for sure when I need a new rear tire. He felt a knobby on the front would grip better in multi-terrain.

I have just over 400 miles on my trials tire now...it stills works great and appears to be at its half-life. I want to turn the tire around on the rim to regain a fresh edge. If you ride woods and enjoy traction, a trials tire will work great for you.

Chris

the D 803's are a great choice. For $80 they're pretty cheap! turned my 07 wr450 into a tractor!