HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tough Guy

Trials rear tire on WR450F?

39 posts in this topic

Anyone try this? What were your results? I am in need of a new rear tire and have considered going this route, I ride technical single-track and have a Rekluse clutch.

Thanks,

Chris

How much did your tire cost? I have read that the trials tires last longer...

What are the down sides, if any?

Chris

What conditions do you want your tires to excel in? My rear last 1400 miles, maybe 300 of those were in the street on very hot days. Front has almost 2000 and still going strong. They act quite different depending on how much air is in them.

My OE rear tire has 400 off-road miles and is shot. I ride rocky trails, tree roots etc...rough mountain trails in general. I was okay with the performance of the OE tire, I just want to try something different, if it works better, great. If not, I don't want to spend a fortune to realize poor results.

Chris

I had one on my wr450. Its a great tire. It sticks to everything. (I've never tried mud though). I've still got it and will be putting it back on soon since the conditions are really dry.

The only downside, if any, is that it feels a little different when you turn, especially in sand. Its not a bad feeling, just different. You'll have to get used to possibly having too much traction, instead of not enough.

The only thing I would say is that you should be careful charging up hills with a trials tire. You'll have a lot more traction than you are used to.

For slow technical single track, it should be perfect.

Cool! :applause:

I like the sounds of that! Corners are a weak point for me anyway...more traction, maybe I can go faster. It sounds like the perfect fit, I just need to pull the trigger and do it.

Chris

Cool! :applause:

I like the sounds of that! Corners are a weak point for me anyway...more traction, maybe I can go faster. It sounds like the perfect fit, I just need to pull the trigger and do it.

Chris

Be warned MLOT member #2 - too much traction can be a not so good thing. They stick like glue on rocks, hard pack (even with some loose sand on it), and many other surfaces which I found out the other day included dry grass where I looped my little 250f going up a not so steep hill.

A less expensive trials tire is the Dunlop 803 which I thought stuck as good as the IRC, you can even buy them at cycle gear and probably the TT store. For some reason the Dunlop seems to keep having the bead back away from the rim with Husky excel rims at lower pressures....

You sound like the perfect candidate for trials tires. Not sure why more don't use them on the front - esp for trail riding as opposed to racing.

An odd side effect is the drool factor. People looking at the tires and wishing they had them on their bike. They handle ice ok too, at least compared to a knobby.

I won't be using anything else.

Thanks for the info. I will give it a go and hopefully keep the MLOT instances to a minimum....:applause:

Chris

The pirelli has stiffer sides walls then all the others and you don't get any high speed wallow, don't put anymore then 8psi in them though and NO you shouldn't get a pinch flat as the sides are slighty higher, I ride some pretty rocky stuff and have NEVER got a rear flat.

My friend just installed one on his KTM 300 last week and he let me try it out. The traction was amazing and I did not feel all that wallowy in turns with 9 psi in it. The one thing I did not like on it was the lack of feel with the rear brake, especially on steep downhills and fast aggresive corners. The rear slid with no stopping power. I may try one in the future on my WR but I really depend on the rear brake for my style of riding. Sure did a good job on roots and rocks though.

you do need a good feel for the rear brake, IE-not just stomp on it as per usual, it takes a bit to learn how to slow down rather then just skid.

Be warned MLOT member #2 - too much traction can be a not so good thing.

You sound like the perfect candidate for trials tires. Not sure why more don't use them on the front - esp for trail riding as opposed to racing.

True about the traction. With a knobbie, I can charge up a big, soft hill in 3rd and have to downshift to 2nd but stay on the gas and make it to the top.

With a trials tire, second gear and a lot of throttle on a hill will bring your front end way up in the air. Too much traction.

Coffee, tell me again. How is that trials on the front?

Coffee, tell me again. How is that trials on the front?

Just dandy....but will say again - I don't race. You really should try one, or at least take a spin on my bike.

Steep down hills on bare rock the bike stops if you hit the brakes - but as noted it takes a bit of finesse on the rear brake. Soft front tire goes in and out of the ruts much easier, smoother ride on the road, less vibration - rides nice...

I am excited now to try the trials rear tire. The downside doesn't sound bad at all. :applause:

Chris

I've been thinking about trying one out myself, but I want a wider tire. I found a Cheng Shin C186 in a 4.5 width, which is about a 120. Since I run Maxxis IT's most of the time and they're a subsidiary of Cheng Shin, perhaps this would be doable. Another kicker is the Cheng Shin is only about $40 :)...SC

I've been thinking about trying one out myself, but I want a wider tire. I found a Cheng Shin C186 in a 4.5 width, which is about a 120. Since I run Maxxis IT's most of the time and they're a subsidiary of Cheng Shin, perhaps this would be doable. Another kicker is the Cheng Shin is only about $40 :)...SC

The 4.0 Michelin is about the same width as the Cheng Shin 4.5...The Michelin is *almost* as wide as my stock nobby.

The tread on the Cheng Shin feels rock hard, where the Michelin was much softer, I don't think you'll see 100% of the benifit of a trials tire with the cheaper Cheng Shin. You will save some cash for sure though.

Chris

I keep hearing about the amazing grip these things have, but how well would they be in steep, soft, shale/coal hill climbs??

My 756s are shredded from the hills and terrain at tower city. How would the trials tire hold up there and how well do they do in really soft deep sandy stuff??

My maxxis desert IT though is a different story from the 756. Wears like iron, even in the sharp shale.