Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rockjockey

Quick Survey of the Experts

13 posts in this topic

I bought a 650L yesterday from an older guy, it is an 02 with 775 miles and I could not pass it up for the asking price (1500) everything works. The PO rode it one summer fell, dislocated his shoulder and lost 4 months of work and put it in the shed and never rode it again. Now my information quest begins. This bike is absolutely stock with original tires. One of the air scoops on the tank is cracked, are these necessary? I kinda like the look without it. I live in Texas at 600 ft above sea level and wonder what jets need to be used here. I'm going to open the exhaust (pipe)/intake (filter) at the same time and search for a good aftermarket pipe for it. There is some conglomeration of hoses (smog pump?) on the side of the motor and I wonder what it takes to get rid of this. If anyone has a link to the service manual I believe it would help me in my quest for info on this bike. Thanks, any input/advise you can offer would be appreciated.

the tank shrouds are a subject of controversy - especially if you live in warmer climates. IMHO as long as you run 20-50W fresh oil and change it regulalry , then drop em off, I don't think they do much anyway.

You will also be told to do Daves mods, to uncork it. Here is my setup for an 05 at 300ft above sea level.

Uni Air filter - top of airbox (snorkel removed)

IMS smog block of kit

Dynojet carb kit (used the 165 main, the needle and spring, installed a Kehien 55 pilot jet) 2 1/4 turns out on the air fuel screw.

White Brothers E-2 slip on muffler

Baja Designs Skid plate

Dunlop 606 tires

It rips. MUCH Better cold starts, better overall performance. Not shocking mind you, but it runs like it should! snort- snort....

Daves Mods are at 4Strokes.com and under the Technical section ,just found them myself. I just (2 days ago) de-smoged my xr650l with the IMS kit from Baja designs.

Sounds like you got yourself a good deal. What I would do would be Daves mods (there cheap) pass on the Dj kit the Daves are better I tried both,but stillwound up with a mikuni (better) Then get your self a bigger tank Clark or Ims. De smogg the thing and ride it. If in the future you want a pipe slip ons are cheap (in more ways than one) I'd go for the super trapp if going that rout if you have the clams to spend go with the XRs only FULL system in stainless. Lots of other stuff but thats how I would start off. If you need room to cary stuff wolf man makes some nice stuff. Enduro tank bag and other baggs to boot.

all great advice. i wound up with the keihin fcr 41 pumper. i LOVE it! wolfman bags are top notch, e2 series slip on is a great choice, as is the xrs only stainless setup. ditch the smog equip. with the blockoff kit. i removed my "elephant ears"off my tank, looks better.:applause:

Thanks guys, I removed the pump and charcoal can last night (made my own plugs from 1/8 aluminum. What dual sport tire is recommended, and how wide can you go on the rear? The stocker looks skinny and dried out. Tomorrow after work I'm going to pick up a 55 pilot and 158 or 160 main jet does that sound right? I've got a new Uni filter and will remove the exhaust baffle to get going while I figure out which pipe I will be using. I dont know that it will need a header since there are no mods to the motor, but I'm still collecting info on this.

your jetting will be spot on! no need for header unless high comp. piston and cam. you will just lose low end that these squealers are famous for. oh ,remove the snorkel too!:applause:

I tried to get a SuperTrapp racing slip-on for my XR650L but was told that they were no longer available. I just installed a new Pro Circuit T-4 slip-on and am impressed with the sound and the performance gains. It can be a little loud at full open throttle but I kind of like that. Anyway, the workmanship is first class and the perfomance seems excellent - although I have nothing to compare it to except the stock exhaust with the baffle removed. I am planning on doing Dave's mods this weekend to see what else I can get out of it.

Sounds like you got yourself a good deal. What I would do would be Daves mods (there cheap) pass on the Dj kit the Daves are better I tried both,but stillwound up with a mikuni (better) Then get your self a bigger tank Clark or Ims. De smogg the thing and ride it. If in the future you want a pipe slip ons are cheap (in more ways than one) I'd go for the super trapp if going that rout if you have the clams to spend go with the XRs only FULL system in stainless. Lots of other stuff but thats how I would start off. If you need room to cary stuff wolf man makes some nice stuff. Enduro tank bag and other baggs to boot.

On the Daves Mods. yes they work and are cheaper and simple to follow, however the DJ kit for me is simpler and I trust the engineering that goes into the shape of the needle better than adding radio shcak washers to the stock one. I have also found that drilling the slide is not necessary as the DJ return spring alleviates the need for drilling the slide. The only part of a DJ kit that needs work is that they need to supply a pilot jet, however they will tell you that it is not needed. BS. it is..I used a 55 Kehien. All a matter of preference on how you enrichen the system and enable the bike to breathe freely and thus give it the omph it was intended to deliver.

The only part of a DJ kit that needs work is that they need to supply a pilot jet, however they will tell you that it is not needed. BS. it is..I used a 55 Kehien.

Did it make a difference with the 55 pilot jet? I installed the DJ kit and FMF exhaust and would like to get a pilot jet ASAP. I don't understand why they don't include it in the kit.

the folks at DJ will tell you that the shape of the needle is so designed to compensate for the pilot jet and thus you do not need to replace your pilot jet, I replaced mine anyway with the Kehien 55 and wa la purfect cold starts and bottom end is crisp.