HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bibleman

Don't wast money on a shock spring tool...

6 posts in this topic

unless you plan on taking lots of your bike apart. The parts guy at the Honda dealership talked me into a 17$ spanner wrench and it wouldn't come close to fitting in there. I used the screwdriver and plastic hammer routine and it worked pretty well. I hope there aren't any bearings on either end of the shock that could have gotten damaged by the twisting force of the hammer blows though:excuseme:

Hammer and large punch has always worked for me - besides I'm way too cheap to buy a tool I'm only going to use once a year or so...

I have about three of those spanner wrenches from the tool kits that come with bikes. Unless the shock is off of the bike, they're useless. Just not enough room in there. It makes it easier if you spray some WD-40 on the treads to lubricate them a bit. It seems to help than trying to adjust it dry.

I thought of the WD 40 idea too........AFTER I did the adjustment:cry:

1 person likes this

With the bike on a stand, rear tire off, mud guard off, once you break the lock nut free and spin it in the clear, you can grab the spring with both hands and spin the whole spring. The spring nut will fallow. At about the point that you are about done being able to spin it any tighter you are close to race sag. If you do it enough for years you fly right past race sag and have to losen it back up. If the spring nut is seized of course you have to take the shock off.

1 person likes this

What worked well for me, is the Drag Specialties adjustable spanner. I was tired of not having the right spanner for the job, so I talked to a guy that runs a perfomance shop, and he reccommended the Drag Specialties one. Works GREAT, and doesn't cost a whole lot either. Plus, you can adjust just about any sized shock with it.