07' WR450F Break in time????

:applause:

Hi,

I am getting two lots of advice for breaking in my 07 WR450f. My dealer tells me to break it in for 500km before he will derestrict it, but my manual tells me to do an hour and a half of break in then go for it. This bike will do 95% woods riding and 5% road work. Thats alot of hours to do 500km. I am lost on just how long these machines need for break in before I can unleash the power of this bike and add a Powercore 4.

Also how long to run mineral oil in it.

Cheers.........Clinton.

Ok...so the dealer who you just paid a lot of money won't un-cork your bike. If you have to pay someone to open up a WR don't. It is so easy even a non mechanic type can do it in a couple hours without removing the carb. Run about 10 heat cycles, several short trips -20 miles with lots of load and non-load cycles, and then ride it. Make sure you change the oil and filter every hundred for the first 4-5 then decide for yourself. I change my oil every 2-300 and the filter every 4-600.

:applause:

Hi,

I am getting two lots of advice for breaking in my 07 WR450f. My dealer tells me to break it in for 500km before he will derestrict it, but my manual tells me to do an hour and a half of break in then go for it. This bike will do 95% woods riding and 5% road work. Thats alot of hours to do 500km. I am lost on just how long these machines need for break in before I can unleash the power of this bike and add a Powercore 4.

Also how long to run mineral oil in it.

Cheers.........Clinton.

Clinton,

For what's it worth, I'd read all the sticky's posted at the beginning of this forum and do a search on "engine break in" (opinions vary) to get you started (wealth of info already in these forums). Many techniques for break-in, but most agree frequent oil changes up front are the way to go. How hard you ride it early and how often you change the oil is up for debate, but the first change should be early in break in period (i.e. first couple of hours to get the floating metal tidbits out). My dealer told me to ride 20hrs before first service and also that my 07 had the new air filter cage with no hole in it (bad advice and incorrect- mine ended up having the faulty air cage). Also don't think you need to wait that long before you start free mods.

I think many (if not all) would agree that a lot of the dealers out there (but certainly not all) are full of sh*t and don't know the bikes they're selling as well as the collective experience here on TT- you'll see wisdom as you read through all the threads. Just my $.02

Good luck and enjoy your new ride. Mark

Cheers guys for your feedback. I have done some more reading on break ins and found this information very useful. I have done 2 hours break in on my bike and have already done a oil & filter change. I shall do all the mods to it now and ride it like it supposed to be.

When they import them into Australia they are fully restricted except the AIS is already removed, they come with a competition spares kit including rich jetting kit, YZ throttle stop, headlight & extras which I will install with the Powercore 4 exhaust.

thanks once again Cheers...........Clinton.