Dr.D exhaust questions??

Just installed Dr. D exhaust on a "06" YZF 450(Old style),and I noticed that

the midpipe is very close to the rear shock sub-ass.(bladder),it's not touching

but it's within a 1/4".My question is;are there any heat transfer issue's,effecting the rear shock/bladder with the exhaust pipe so close??:applause: THX P.S.Greyracer,do you have this pipe?,and if so,

do you think,there would be heat transfer issue's??:applause:

Don't think so. It's almost exactly where the stock pipe is.

Don't think so. It's almost exactly where the stock pipe is.

Thanks Grey,I didn't really look at stock pipes clearance's before I removed

it,also did you change needle?...Dr.D recommends PT# 5TA-14916-PL-00,

stock is a PR-00(#NFPR)? THX ED

I haven't changed the needle from the stock NFPR (#4). Originally, Dubach was recommending the NFLR in #4, but then the web site changed and the rec went to an NFLR only at high altitude. The number given, 5TA-14916-PL-00, doesn't show as a valid PN when I search for it, and by the way that Yamaha has them listed, that needle would be like raising the stock one 5 steps. A call to Dr.D for clarification would appear to be in order.

We run ours at 45/165/NFPR(#4), basically everywhere, up to about 3600 ft.

the response that Dr.D racing sent me >>>

"That is correct it does run close. You should not have any issues. If you

do let us know but that is the way they are bent. It has to be bent away

from other things etc. Jetting is for 0-3000' so if you are in that area you

are ok. "

but then the web site changed and the rec went to an NFLR only at high altitude.

Where does it state that on the Dr.D website?

Where does it state that on the Dr.D website?

Go to the site and click the Technical link. Jetting recommendations comes up first thing. Fill out the form for an '06 YZ450, and you'll see two links under the listed recommendation: "Low end issues", and "8000ft +". It's listed there.

One day, if it bugs me enough, I'll call him and ask about the PL needle thing.

thanks...I see it now.

Does anyone know if you can purchase the 2007 DR D ti as a slip on? I cant seem to find it anywhere...and I kinda like the stock header.

anybody ?

Just installed Dr. D exhaust on a "06" YZF 450(Old style),and I noticed that

the midpipe is very close to the rear shock sub-ass.(bladder),it's not touching

but it's within a 1/4".My question is;are there any heat transfer issue's,effecting the rear shock/bladder with the exhaust pipe so close??:applause: THX P.S.Greyracer,do you have this pipe?,and if so,

do you think,there would be heat transfer issue's??:applause:

Whats an 'old style'. Did they make two different models in 06?

Yeah I checked the site...but It looks like there not selling just the silencer anymore...bummer:(

IMO, 90% of slip-ons are 90% bling, and 10% performance improvement. There are always exceptions, but not many. To make much real improvment, a complete, engineered, end-to-end system is needed.

really? how do you feel about the 2007 stock header? compared to the Dr. D?

The '07 header is a nice piece of work, and seems to work even better with an '06 silencer.

But the Dubach exhaust was actually among the first to really work with the stepped pipe technology that the '07 YZF uses, and as I said, it usually works better to use a system that is designed to achieve a particular result as a total package, although it should be possible to build one around the stock header. It's just that for the most part, no one does.

yeah I getcha...My buddy just got a stainless full system for his 06 450..and he said it didnt make that huge of a difference..and just made it feel more "freed up" which is what im looking for with my 07...it just seems that the stock silencer plugs it up so much. thanks for the replies tho! looks like a lil more cash and a full system are in order...

On some bikes, like the '05 RMZ450, the stock exhaust is not well executed, and aftermarket pipes can and do add as much as 5 hp or more. This is not the case with YZF's, however. The most you will usually see on dyno comparisons with stock is something approaching 2 hp, and that would be a pipe with a very narrow focus on one part of the power curve. You just won't see a "huge" difference with an exhaust system in most cases, but with a good one, you will be able to notice it.