spoke tourque specs...

although ive been playing guitar and bass for 12 years, i dont know how comfortable i feel doing it that way just yet.

ill be building a set of rims for my SM soon and i kinda waht it to be safely done.

:applause:

I have Excel rims, Excel SS spokes and Talon hubs..I torque the spokes to 48inlbs. So far so good..I check em after each ride. My dirt wheels spokes are torqued to 40inlbs..Have good luck with both sets of wheels.

• 5 months later...

time to revive......

i know its 24in/lb for the drz wheels, but im assuming thats for the dirt wheels...(i checked my YZ manual, and it said 27inlb.)

now, how about SM wheels on oem hubs? or the spoke torque for the DRZ SM. ive seen higher values for street applications....does anyone know for sure?

Keep in mind, the torque specs are for a free spinning nut/nipple with proper lube. Most spokes in short time develop rust and other jit that prevents an accurate reading. Want to do it right, remove each nipple, run a tap in them, a die on each spoke, then use anti-sieze. Then your torque readings will be close. Me, I 'ping' them.

well, im about to build a set with all new parts, so that wont be an issue. i was wondering the differences in torque on the dirt wheels vs the SM wheels. the torque chart i found in the search only has the dirt wheels torque specs.

so essentially, all i need is for someone who's built a wheel and hasnt wrecked on it becuase if it falling apart to tell me what the torque they used was.

thanks for the info

but if it sead 2 ft-lbs that would = 24 inch-lbs

so GSBill how do you get away with 48inlbs. ???

is it becouse your runing the nicer hubs and SS spokes

A couple of months late...so sorry. Both those specs were, 1.. from one wheel builder who put the SM wheels together. And 2..The dirt spec came from the folks I bought the rims, nipples and spokes from.

Tension Adjustment

The Excel Torque Wrench has a �Pounds Inch� (Lbs in) tension scale. Setting adjustments can be made by twisting the adjustment handle to the appropriate tension mark.

General recommendation for most motocross & off-road wheels is 45-50 Lbs in. Excel Pro Series wheels are built to 48 Lbs in. Be sure to check the manufacturer�s specification for your make and model of motorcycle. Use the quick reference torque conversion chart on the inside lid of the plastic case for N-m or Kg-cm readings.

Warning � Setting the tension at higher levels transfers more stress on the hub, spokes, nipples, and rim. Setting the tension at lower levels transfers less stress, but requires more frequent maintenance and increases the chance of spokes becoming excessively loose.

There are several nipple heads included with your new torque wrench. Before using the wrench insert the head you are using into the top of the torque wrench. There is a small detent in each head and a mating ball in the wrench. Make sure the ball is lined up with the detent in the head by rotating the head till it clicks into place.

When using the torque wrench the head will �pop� sideways when the desired spoke tension is reached. Continuing to tighten the nipple after the torque wrench has �popped� will result in more pressure on the nipple than what is set on the torque wrench. Don�t do this.

ok, so ill build my wheels to about 45inlb.

id still like to find out if the factory specifies a different value for the SM vs the S/E wheels on the drz.

That I dont know..I do know the "low" spec on my dirt wheels was because I opted to run the stock hubs...saved some $$$$$. So far so good. No problems with either set. I have another bike with stock spokes/rims and hubs which is not ridden on terrain like the DRZ and the rear wheel has developed a slight twitch in 2k miles. Spokes come lose on that bike after each ride. I do spray WD or a similar product on the spoke nipples as routine PM to keep them free. Its pretty dry in AZ so rust isnt usually a problem.