Smaller battery

I have been researching batteries for the xr650l. People are downsizing the stock battery, wich is the ytx9 and going down to the ytx5. The difference is 1.7 pounds and the 9 is 8ah and the 5 is 5ah. Is the difference in ah any type of a problem? Odyssey makes the 310 wich is stronger and better, but .3 lbs heavier, and 3 times as much!

Less amp hours means less reserve before it will not start the engine. If you go with the smaller battery just keep that in mind. Don't let it get discharged running the lights. Usually the larger the electric motor the more efficient it is. The starter on the 650L is larger than the one on the 450x so the 650L may actually need less current to start the bike. The 450 is also much higher on the compression ratio.

I found a battery mfg site http://www.apexbattery.com/ and they have the specs on the batteries that they sell. They list the 650L battery with a CCA of 120 and the 450X battery with a CCA of 130.

I'm sure that an even smaller battery would work too, but since the 650L has no kick start that might not be a good idea.

I have been researching batteries for the xr650l. People are downsizing the stock battery, wich is the ytx9 and going down to the ytx5. The difference is 1.7 pounds and the 9 is 8ah and the 5 is 5ah. Is the difference in ah any type of a problem? Odyssey makes the 310 wich is stronger and better, but .3 lbs heavier, and 3 times as much!

I use a genuine CRF450X Yuasa battery on my high comp HRC 628 engine and it runs fine. Starts fine and powers up fine.

I've mounted it under the seat.

I use a genuine CRF450X Yuasa battery on my high comp HRC 628 engine and it runs fine. Starts fine and powers up fine.

I've mounted it under the seat.

I have seen it. You used the yausa ytx5. I guess my issue is that I am only saving 1.7 lbs. Not much! I thought the difference was much higher.

I've had the YTX 5 in my XR650L for 4 seasons, and it still works fine. If everything is set up right, the thing fires after just a few seconds of cranking. 1.7 lbs is a lot, especially when you've gotten rid of all the heavy stuff Honda put on there in the first place. Can you imagine what it would cost to find this kind of weight reduction, if you use titanium fasteners, and other exotic stuff? The battery swap costs less than the original!