HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
polarbear

NOT another TICKING thread!!!

6 posts in this topic

I hate to have to add to this but my brothers bike (07 yz 450) has recently started making the same ticking noises. Its not the cluthc, I know the clutch quites down when you pull it in. Its a ticking like the lobes on the cam are loose or like the cam chain is rubbing or something similiar. The ticking noise has a slow rythmn when idleing and a faster ticking as you give it gas. ...... THIS IS NORMAL??? I made him stop riding yesterday at the track in order to avoid doing something serious to the motor. Yes his has a skid plate. I dont know what you all think.

I think you need to have someone listent to it that has experience with these bikes. maybe listen to it and compare it with another bike (same kind)

If it is a loud ticking...it is not normal and should be addressed.

Well I'm not a race mechanic but I have done plenty of valve jobs and top ends on 4-strokes, I ride with lots of people with these bikes. But, I dont have any other yz 450 riders at the moment to compare with. Just thinking that its something with the cam or valve area. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem??? If so what was the cause??? Or, if its normal once they are broken in??? Who knows seems that everyone says its normal. However, nobody in all the search forums mentioned the ticking sound speeding up with the rev of the bike.

That ticking is more than likely the cam lobes coming into contact with the buckets???

I found when i shimmed my 450 as a middle intake valve was tight that the noise was noticably louder and came to the conclusion that the larger the gap between cam lobe and bucket then the loader the tick.

Given two weeks the noise went away but the valve clearance stayed where it was, so i dont know whats doing their.

Anyone think my idea is right or that its just the ramblings of a 4 stroke owner?

Thats all that i can think of.

well i dont blame people for replying. There has been so many ticking threads, i dont blame them... Sounds like the cam lobes to me, I just was wondering if that the same on other bikes of the same year and model. We live in mexico right now and there are no other yzf 450's to compare with.

I hate to have to add to this but my brothers bike (07 yz 450) has recently started making the same ticking noises. Its not the cluthc, I know the clutch quites down when you pull it in. Its a ticking like the lobes on the cam are loose or like the cam chain is rubbing or something similiar. The ticking noise has a slow rythmn when idleing and a faster ticking as you give it gas. ...... THIS IS NORMAL??? I made him stop riding yesterday at the track in order to avoid doing something serious to the motor. Yes his has a skid plate. I dont know what you all think.

Come on Capt'n, I think this clicking sound is all in your head. :applause: Those new YZ450F's are solid as a rock. Just tell your bro to ride the hell out of it and don't worry about it til it breaks. It's not like a Honda , it isn't going to break. I finally got one and it rips!!:applause: