Steering Stem Nut

Anyone know of a way to loosen the steering stem nut on an 06' YZ450 without having to purchase The Steering nut ring wrench from yamaha? Cause I can't afford the special tool and need to re-grease my bearings.

Use a large flat-head screwdriver and a mallet. Wrap the tip of the screwdriver with a shop towel to avoid damaging the nut.

It is not very tight, normally, since it is only torqued to about 5 pounds. Usually, a mid sized pair of "Channel-Locks" will do. Grab it by the notches, rather than the ring.

The nut doesn't come all the way off without removing the handlebars anyway (at least the 07 I did wouldn't). Might as well remove the bars and use a socket.

edit...nevermind, wrong nut.

I use Channel locks to take it one and off. Like stated above, it is not very tight and should not be.

channel locks or a flat ended punch will work - make sure you do not over or under tighten this when reassembling.....you may want to mark the steering nut and the frame(permanent marker or eched) and make sure these marks meet/line up when reassembling.....