Fuel injection on the 08 YZ450F?

EFI is the only way to go IMOA. I have two sleds with EFI systems. Over 2k in mountain miles in harsh -26 F weather with snow and ice and not one problem also they will lean you out on a 90deg day and give you much more power than a carb and on a cold day richen up for lots of power and no lean spots.

Point them downhill or tip them over and come back the next day and 2-3 pulls on the rope and they fire right up. Also on average in a full day they use 2-4 Gal less of gas than the old carb sleds of the same CC size with 12Gal tanks. Once in a great-great wile someone will lose a sensor but almost all the time they will just go into limp mode and you can still get out on 50% power. Also there are not many sensors as they are not a closed loop EFI system yet. But with almost all the sleds now with EFI I have not talked to one guy that would go back to carbs nota one and for sledders to agree on something means allot.

I know dirt and snow are apples to oranges but both have to take very harsh conditions.

good tuner has over the guys taht are too lazy to learn how to jet their bikes.

Also have you ever looked at how advanced the EFI programers for the sleds are??? You can make it easy to tune in for a average guy but if you want spot on timming and fuel curves it can go so far over most guys heads in a hurry. The good news is put them on a dyno for a hour with a wideband o2 sensor and you will be amazed at how much better the motor will respond with temp and alt changes and throttle snap and better fuel economy.

I think EFI will not live up to its hype, at least initially, much like Windows Vista.

:applause: I like the comparison...Hopefully EFI will be much better..

Iam ready for EFI now! after reading all the threads so far, imo the EFI will out weigh the carb in maintence and realiability. As long as they keep the price of the bikes down and not over the amount they are now on the 4's I will be all for it but if they jack the price up just because it's EFI then they can take it and turn it sideways and cram it up their a$$.

It would be impossible for an EFI bike to have better throttle response than my 2006 450F with Zip-Ty carb mod and I know my bike will have greater reliability.

I think EFI will not live up to its hype, at least initially, much like Windows Vista.

I'd love to see the proof you have for this since it doesn't exist. And if you didn't follow the unveiling of EFI in street racing motorcycles then you wouldn't know that it made a huge difference and was really really really good. :applause:

I want FI....because it will drive the prices of the 06s-07s down like the 06s killed the resale of the steel frame yamis. Then, I'll get me an 07 CHEAP.

That's why I want FI. :applause:

i'm too looking forward to EFI, but i cna't stop thinking what has always happened to cars? there's 3 or more sensors that can go bad and can't be cheap. then, you have to have a laptop at the track (who's kidding who) then there's the downsides, which are questionable performance and maintenance.

IMO, fuel-injected 450's only, at-first are a horrible idea. 450's are a dog in the used market. to come out with a n EFI 450 will just put more non-EFI 450's on the used market; and the trade in price will be THAT much lower.

manufacturers better get this thing right the first time, so, there aren't more unmarketable bikes out there. i'm getting pissed at this switching my bike for the latest and greatest pile of crap every year.

i'm too looking forward to EFI, but i cna't stop thinking what has always happened to cars? there's 3 or more sensors that can go bad and can't be cheap. then, you have to have a laptop at the track (who's kidding who) then there's the downsides, which are questionable performance and maintenance.

IMO, fuel-injected 450's only, at-first are a horrible idea. 450's are a dog in the used market. to come out with a n EFI 450 will just put more non-EFI 450's on the used market; and the trade in price will be THAT much lower.

manufacturers better get this thing right the first time, so, there aren't more unmarketable bikes out there. i'm getting pissed at this switching my bike for the latest and greatest pile of crap every year.

I think you just hit the nail squarely on the head....

From what I heard the EFI's on the Japanese circuit are very reliable. I've even heard a few of them have hit the cross country circuit with no real problems (haven't confirmed that though). I too think the holdup on the EFI is mostly marketing issues an how to get the EFI bikes smoothly into the market. Dirtbike riders are very loyal to brand names and the manufacturers don't want to piss any of them off. I recently was told by a Yamaha dealer that the only reason they didn't bring their YZ150F onto the market first was that they wanted Honda to be the bad guy and be known as the manufacturer who "took away" the smaller 2 strokes. Makes you really think....

I also think people are thinking a little too much about the sensors that go bad. 9 times out of 10 a sensor gets replaced because of a completely different fault. I can't count the number of times we see vehicles that come in with a check engine light and as we diagnose the vehicle we notice the customer has changed sensors for no reason (such as MAF sensors being changed because someone over oiled their K&N air filter, or O2 sensors being changed because of exhaust leaks at the manifold etc...etc...) Unfortunatly all the customer remembers is dropping the cash for the sensor and not the real cause of the problem.

good to know loop. yeah, o2 sensors always fail. i can't imagine how often with bad "jetting maps, or whatever they'll call it". also, the hype is ok by me; because it may say that they're trying to get it right the first time. good info!

The problem with EFI is the cost. I'm not willing to fork out an additional $500-1000 for something which to date hasn't proven to add much power. Not too mention the additional weight penalty.

I'm not on the Atkin's diet so I think I'll just stick with carbs...

So you are of the opinion that the collective cost of the components of an EFI system will exceed the $1000 price of a carb? This hasn't actually happened to quads or sport bikes, has it?

The only way you are going to be able to stick to carbs is to not purcase a new motorcycle beyond the point when EFI comes out.

anyone heard of powercommander? what are you guys worried about. all of you can use a computer. everyone on TT can. not rocket science.

what did dirt rider have tos ay about EFI? i saw the newest issue said they road new EFI bikes but the mags were sealed so i didn't open it

So you are of the opinion that the collective cost of the components of an EFI system will exceed the $1000 price of a carb? This hasn't actually happened to quads or sport bikes, has it?

The only way you are going to be able to stick to carbs is to not purcase a new motorcycle beyond the point when EFI comes out.

You may be correct in that it's only a matter of time but I'm happy with what we have right now.

If the MSRP isn't increased $500-1000 I'll be happy to eat crow

I will be happy if the MSRP does not go up at all..............NOT

They went up that much last year, didn't they?

what did dirt rider have tos ay about EFI? i saw the newest issue said they road new EFI bikes but the mags were sealed so i didn't open it

Motocross Action tested an EFI CRF 250 in the MAY issue and every tester said they would take the Keihin. But this is a 250 and EFI is very new so i guess time will tell.

Motocross Action tested an EFI CRF 250 in the MAY issue and every tester said they would take the Keihin. But this is a 250 and EFI is very new so i guess time will tell.

I read that article too. With the EFI they can run a quiet pipe and still get top performance out of it. Another + for EFI. :)

I read that article too. With the EFI they can run a quiet pipe and still get top performance out of it. Another + for EFI. :)

MXA actually didn't like EFI in this case. The word they used to describe it was "slow". Not exactly top performance. On top of that, the system couldn't compensate for the new pipe without being reprogrammed. It had a very narrow operating envelope that didn't tollerate changes in the system.

That being said, I think EFI will be a very good thing. The OEM EFI systems anyway. The aftermarket system tested in the MXA article was just a poor attempt at adapting it to a current model bike. The OEM versions will be much better than what MXA tested. (hopefully)

Back in '98 most all opinions of the "New" YZ400F were also very negitive, now, 10 years later, look at what has transpired with respect to the current MX track wepon, the YZ450F! There is always going to be a lengthly engineering R&D curve involved with brand new, never used technology. EFI in MX bikes is coming, it's just going to take some time