Tick, tick, tick.............

Quick question about valve lash. I adjusted the valves on my new to me 2000 650R this weekend. The valves were pretty tight, tight enough that I couldn't get the thinest feeler to slide in. They all adjusted out about the same amount, and all now have very good slight drag on the .158 intake, and .203 exhaust.

My question is, now I can really hear the ticking of the valve lash, I'm I correct to assume this to be normal? The bike starts just the same as before the adjustment, and runs fine. Everything seems to be normal, just kind of weird to now have this ticking from the top end.

What do they say, a noisey valve is a happy valve. Mine always made a noticable tick at least for the 20k miles before I had to send it in for a valve job.

:applause: That's pretty much what I thought, thanks for a little confirmation. :applause:

Well, if you have the auto decomp still in there, you have to be sure not to ver-rotate past TDC, because then it will open the exhaust valve, and you will have to cycle it back through again. You have to slowly bring it to the TDC mark; you can't go past and bring it back. If the auto-decomp is open, then it WILL be VERY tight.

What do they say, a noisey valve is a happy valve. Mine always made a noticable tick at least for the 20k miles before I had to send it in for a valve job.

So one guy over at Adventure Rider is saying that these bikes are NOT supposed to have a noticeable tick from the valve lash.............now I'm confused and a bit worried. Like stated before, very careful to make sure I was on the compression stroke (just past the hard spot at TDC). Didn't activate the auto decomp as I never rotated back at all.......Intake is dead on at .158, and exhaust at .203..............

Anyone else have any info?? :applause: :applause: ?

like Thumpmiester said if it backs up you have to go around and recheck, mine likes to back up on it's own after I stop and just a hair triggers the auto decomp, and your setting will be way off.

also if you have problems with the decomp or susspect it just back it out until it dosent hit the valve (its pretty easy to start the bike w/o decomping, I often wonder why its there and many people remobe it completly) But the TDC is very important in TDC all the valves shopuld have slight play (but we already discussed this lol):applause:

LOL this is a better place for XR info than ADV. they all ride DR's/KLR's and BMW over there. Anyone have the correct clearences for a 650R?

They must be some bad dudes if they can ride those tanks off road.:applause:

LOL this is a better place for XR info than ADV. they all ride DR's/KLR's and BMW over there. Anyone have the correct clearences for a 650R?

intake is .006 or .152mm

exhaust is .008 or .203mm

There's a good valve adjustment tutorial at off-road.com, everyone has their own variation from the basic method.http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=332657&searchString=xr650r%20valve%20adjustment

FWIW, mine only has about 200 miles on it and from the start it has had zero ticking. I would assume the valves are adjusted properly from the factory. But I agree that if I had to err one way or the other I'd rather have them a bit loose.

Quick question about valve lash. I adjusted the valves on my new to me 2000 650R this weekend. The valves were pretty tight, tight enough that I couldn't get the thinest feeler to slide in. They all adjusted out about the same amount, and all now have very good slight drag on the .158 intake, and .203 exhaust.

My question is, now I can really hear the ticking of the valve lash, I'm I correct to assume this to be normal? The bike starts just the same as before the adjustment, and runs fine. Everything seems to be normal, just kind of weird to now have this ticking from the top end.

I think it's .152mm