CRF450 to YZ450F ?

Has anyone recently made the switch from a CRF450 to the YZ450F? Are you completely happy with your decision? What about the CRF do you miss (if anything)?

After buying red for the last 3 bike upgrades, I'm wondering whether I should try something new. I've read that the YZ450 "feels" lighter than all the others, but that's just the magazine talking ~ I'd like to hear this from a real person. Do tell.

I have an 06 YZ450, and have ridden 04 an 05 CRF450's. To me, the YZ does feel some lighter, the engine is MUCH more responsive, I have no issues with the YZ turning. Some people do, the 04 CRF turns terrible imo, the 05 CRF turns fine. Even though I think the YZ engine runs better, I think the CRF engine is easier and less tiring. Suspension is about a toss up. Hope this was some help.

IMO, the new YZ450 is an amazing bike...:applause:

Now, if you're coming off a Honda, definitely take the time to:

-slide the forks up in the clamps to at least the first line

-change the front tire if it's not the perfect match to your dirt

-consider revalving the suspension if you're not 200 lbs or really fast

The last CRF I owned (just like the other 2 I owned) was a nightmare. If you enjoy working on bikes more than riding them I would suggest buying another CRF(just kidding). I just bought an 06 YZ450 and really like the bike so far. Only thing I am not fond of on my YZ is it feels a little cramped. I am 6'3" and the CRF's really fit me good in that department. But, I will buy foot pegs, a seat and handle bars any day to cranks and valves. Hope this helps a little.

I don't miss the crf at all. I was always working on the damn thing. The yzf handles a lot better, turnes better, and the smooth powerband makes the bike real easy to ride. I love how smooth the suspension is also. My crf felt real rigid. The only thing the yzf needs is proper jetting. I also put an MRD exhaust on, and it made the low end come alive.

If you offered me a brand new 07 crf vs. my 06 yzf, I would choose my YZF.:applause:

Thanks. This is all good stuff. So not many of you really felt that the YZ feels noticeably lighter (because of all the centrallization of mass stuff)? The magazines were going as far as saying that it felt almost like a 250F.

Yes, it does feel lighter, and no, it doesn't feel like a 250F; it feels like a 250 2T. The difference between the new and old YZF is phenominal, considering that both bikes, and, for that matter, the CRF, are all within a pound of each other in actual weight. And, while I don't own a CRF, I've ridden a number of them, and the YZF does feel a bit lighter and more nimble than the Honda to me. The handling is much better when set up right, but the bike is unusually sensitive to small adjustments. Simply setting the sag at 95 rather than 100, and pulling the forks up 5-7mm makes a huge improvement over the as-delivered cornering behavior. Even putting high enough bars on the bike changes it.

Every once in a great while I hear about a guy who went from a Honda to one of the new YZ450's and didn't like it, but not very often at all.

I recently made the switch from an 04 CRF to an 07 YZf and I love my new Yamaha. The suspension & handling are so much better. The YZ isn't as rigid feeling and the whole rider's compartment is much better. Plus, the YZ ergos are more short guy friendly (I'm 5'6''). I can ride the YZ harder & longer without getting as tired. I could only manage 5 laps on the CRF where I can do 15 on the YZ, and it's not cause I've been exercising or practicing more!

Buy the ticket.....take the ride! You won't regret it!

Thanks. This is all good stuff. So not many of you really felt that the YZ feels noticeably lighter (because of all the centrallization of mass stuff)? The magazines were going as far as saying that it felt almost like a 250F.

It feels light in the air, much lighter than my crf. On the ground the bike responds better to body position. As far as picking the bike up on to the stand, it doesn't feel any lighter. I've never owned a 250f so I can't compare the two.

What you really need to do is repost this question the other way around. Gone from YZF to CRF and see what responses you get.

I notice most of your replies are from people who had CRF models before 2005. ALL the bikes have changed noticeably, starting about 2005, especially the CRF.

I too came from the 05crf 450 to the 07yzf450. Better suspension action was apparent from the onset on the Yamaha. Balance in flight is better. Brakes are better and so far I don't have the annoying chirping sound which plagued me from almost day one on the Honda. Air filter changes can now be done with my hand instead of the wild contortions I made in order to remove and clean on the Honda. Spokes don't loosen on the Excel rims everytime I sit on the bike like they did on my Honda. Steering input is equal too or better than my Honda. My only intial gripe which I admit took a little getting used too, although I have grown to appreciate was that the crf had more initial hit at bottom as opposed to the yz. The Yamaha engine is extremely smooth as opposed to the chuggy feel of the Honda. This feeling and the harder hit does wear you down quicker than the smoother engine of the Yamaha. All this said, I also must be fair and state that my 05crf was reliable and I didn't have any valve issues like I had with my 02crf.

Coming off an 2004 450 and hopping on an 2007 450 is going to be way way better regardless of the brand. People are comparing apples to oranges. You really need to hear from someone who is comparing an 06 or 07 YZ against 06 or 07CR. 4T are so new that a few years makes a huge difference.

Well, five of the eight posts above that stated they had come from a Honda to a YZF were '05 and later models. Add my experience to that, and it's 6 of 9. Besides, while the transition from '05 to '06 on the YZF was a complete revolution, Honda's evolution from '02 to '07 has much less drastic, and the differences, real as they are, are not as great, especially from '04 onward.