Post Crash Debrief - I still don't know what happened!

I was out @ Red River on Friday. Great day, actually heading back to the truck to head home. I was following my brother through some small whoops and the bike started picking up speed and just about then I found myself over the bars crashed 30 feet into the thorny bushes.

The bike acted like it was possesed! I couldn't control it. I didn't find anything wrong mechanicically, the crash bent the starter button and the throttle cables, but I'm afraid I experienced Whisky Throttle, at least that's what I think from searching.

This is my first dirt bike (WR450F) but I've been riding liter bikes for about 14 years and have never been this scared on a motorcycle. It happened so fast I am thankful that I crashed into bushes and not a cliff or a river or another rider! The only thing 'broken' is my pride and tons of bruises and a few thorns that I can't get out.

The bike rode fine after I caught my breath and ripped the bike back out of the thicket. So I'm left to assume extreme rider error. :applause:

If I'm to fix my throttle issues, would anyone care to share some tips? I'm a little leary about riding, the whole completely out of control thing has me a little freaked out. And yes, my bike still has the 1/2 throttle screw in it. Thank GOD I had brains enough to keep that thing in there!!!

Thanks!

Your right it was a little over grip on the throttle and panic combined, but you know what if you haven't been riding a dirt bike before your going to take your lumps. I ride street to and they are different animals. You get alot more arm fatigue in the dirt and when you hanging on tight and start to get out of control your arms just hang on for the ride instead of letting off the throttle. NO PROBLEM just experiance. Get back on and start riding more or you will get the fear of the bike. Remember to ride with gear ALL THE TIME no matter what and concentrate on proper technique. Don't uncork your bike for a year and ride as much as possible. But don't let it get to you any body who has gotten good on a bike has eaten it ALOT. Always remember to practice stopping to practice letting off in the whoops. Ect. Good job your first big crash is done. The ice is broken, try to be safer.

I will give you a little insight to what may have happened. I am an ex moto, Enduro racer so have some experience.

If you are new to riding the first thing new riders want to do when scared or wornout is to sit up straight. Picture what happens when going from riding attach position to sitting up. You pull the throttle on and may even sit up more from fear and pull more throttle. Go sit on you bike and go from attack to sitting and see what the throttle does.

This is very common for new riders. When I teach kids I keep them in the attack position so they do not sit up and pull more throttle.

Attack position is slight lean forward with elbows bent out not down.

Good luck.

I do ride in gear, that's probably why I was able to walk away relatively unscathed. I wear leathers on the street too. I dress for the crash, not for the ride.

I spent the $$ on some Sidi Crossfires and when I went over the bars I have huge bruises on my shins, don't want to consider what shape I'd be w/o boots and a helmet. My helmet is perfect, I went all the way over and landed on my back/butt, after chest planting the bars.

This wasn't my first spill, just one that scared the crap out of me and I have no answer as to why it really happened. The others I've been able to learn from, its just weird how fast this got completely out of control.

This bike is one tough son of a gun, though. I had no idea how strong they were. As I was flying through the thicket, I was actually thinking of how taco'ed my bike would be and how I'd get back to the truck...

I think that's EXACTLY what happened!!!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

I was going through the section and when it got scetchy I did try and sit up, that's what caused the wicked zoom off into oblivion, I guess. Thanks for a little bit of closure, what you described makes perfect sense. I didn't even consider that and really didn't remember doing that until I just read your post. WOW, this forum is absolutely AMAZING!!!

Thanks for the free lesson.

If you are new to riding the first thing new riders want to do when scared or wornout is to sit up straight. Picture what happens when going from riding attach position to sitting up. You pull the throttle on and may even sit up more from fear and pull more throttle. /QUOTE]

I was a new rider two years ago when I bought my first dirt bike (05 WR450) and had the same problem you did with the throttle. The easiest way to keep yourself from getting into trouble is to always cover the clutch with two fingers. If you feel yourself getting out of control with the throttle just clutch it.

Texashart, reading your post reminds me of when I got my wr450 two years ago. It was my first dirt bike. After years and years of riding street bikes, I had some of scariest 25mph experiences that I ever imagined. My first posts to TT was about how to "tame the beast" while I learned to ride.

Here is what I've learned in two years (and a couple of casts)

1. as soon as you can, change out the rear tire with a trials tire. Run it at 12psi. It will give so much traction that it will be like riding on the street. You will then have time to get adjusted to losing traction on the rear.

4. learn to ride standing up. Unless you are really tired or on a flat road, stand up. Use body english to balance yourself. Let the bike move beneath you while your body remains straight.

4. relax and don't grip that throttle so tight. When the bike is moving beneath you, it is important that you be able to maintain a steady throttle.

have fun !

About gripping the throttle.

Grip as tight as you want. This is why your arms are bent at the elbow outward, it gives you a point to hinge so throttle does not change. Your throttle stays the same and our arms and knees roll with the terain.

Always look ahead down the trail. Much of the difference between a fast and slow rider is the ability to scan the trail. When I ride I constantly look to were I am going and remember what is coming. This way when you are going down a trail at 30 mph a root or rut does not suprise you. You already know it is coming and prepare your line for it. May sound abvious but most new riders look only directly ahead and do not set themselves up for upcoming stuff.

Also. Ride standing up. When standing grip the bike with your legs when you roll on the throttle. When sitting always use your upper legs to stay light on the seat. In ISDE I use this a lot. It allows you to sit some but you are still not completely on the seat. Kinda of a modified riding/sitting position and onse again grip the bike with your legs.

One or fingers on the clutch and one finger on front brake.

Maurice - I never expected the 25MPH stuff to be scarier than the 70-90MPH stuff. Its just so different! I've lowsided a streetbike, experienced a tank slapper and almost got sucked into a big rig trailer w/ a cross wind on a huge highway onramp. With out a doubt, this small episode is the scariest, with the tank slapper coming in a close second.

I'm going to have to live w/ the dirt tire for now. After the bike and boots and helmet and new underwear :-), I'm out of fun $$ for a while. But you and TyeeHusky have convinced me to start standing more. I think I have good trail vision, I'm always looking ahead.

Do you guys cover the brake & clutch while standing? I always cover my brake on the street, but didn't feel confident enough offroad to cover the levers... I'll try that too.