Wiring dual sport AC/DC 07 WR450 light cert

I'm doing a dual sport light kit on my 07 WR450 and will be getting the light certification somewhere. I understand the tail light goes on when the ignition button is pushed and that the head light runs of AC when the motor is going.

My question is .... Does the light certification require the HEADLIGHT to also be able to stay on 15 minutes? Since the blinkers, taillight, brake light run off the battery that is no problem, but what if the head light is required to run of DC, would I just bypass the existing wiring to the front light, t then hook up to the battery? And if so, I'm assuming the battery won't be enough power to run an stock AC headlight unless I change the filiment to a DC type.

Any one got any suggestions or knowledge.... If the lighting cert only requires the tailight to stay on 15 minutes then I will just keep the head light stock and wire for the hi/lo beam from the existing AC power to it.

.. Does the light certification require the HEADLIGHT to also be able to stay on 15 minutes?

Honestly - You shouldn't have any probs getting the light cert. They mostly just check if they stay on without the bike running. Hopefully you have done a little homework on this and realize that that won't be your biggest Reg concern. :applause:

I'm doing a dual sport light kit on my 07 WR450 and will be getting the light certification somewhere. I understand the tail light goes on when the ignition button is pushed and that the head light runs of AC when the motor is going.

My question is .... Does the light certification require the HEADLIGHT to also be able to stay on 15 minutes? Since the blinkers, taillight, brake light run off the battery that is no problem, but what if the head light is required to run of DC, would I just bypass the existing wiring to the front light, t then hook up to the battery? And if so, I'm assuming the battery won't be enough power to run an stock AC headlight unless I change the filiment to a DC type.

Any one got any suggestions or knowledge.... If the lighting cert only requires the tailight to stay on 15 minutes then I will just keep the head light stock and wire for the hi/lo beam from the existing AC power to it.

Light bulb doesnt care if its AC or DC, will work either way. I dont think the lighting system will charge the battery and run the headlamp. I beleive the headlamp uses its own seperate lighting circuit while the other coil charges the battery and runs the tail lamp. You may have to have the stator "upped" to handle the extra load of everything. I think they "float" the ground and make the 2 systems tie together then regulate and rectifiy it to DC.

Good question, does the head light have to stay on with the motor off! I hear that the tail tights and blinkers have too.

The Calif CHP says that all must work for 15 minutes. The Baja Designs kit deals with this by adding a "running" lite to the head light assembly, it uses way less amps. But I have never had anybody test the 15 minutes in both of my duel sport certs, a 2002 wr426 and a 2007 wr450. GL

Cali only requires a rear running light, and they (the inspectors) will never sit there and time how long it stays on.