HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianM500EXC

Pinging/knocking?

7 posts in this topic

Just rode my new for me '04 WR450. Noticed if I give it a lot of throttle at low revs, it sounded like it was pinging/knocking. Is this common? Advice?

Thanks!

Just rode my new for me '04 WR450. Noticed if I give it a lot of throttle at low revs, it sounded like it was pinging/knocking. Is this common? Advice?

Thanks!

No, it needs higher octane fuel. That engine has a 12.5:1 compression ratio and requires 95 octane. But I run 92 pump gas and never heard it ping. Make sure you are not hearing chain slap.

No, it needs higher octane fuel. That engine has a 12.5:1 compression ratio and requires 95 octane. But I run 92 pump gas and never heard it ping. Make sure you are not hearing chain slap.

Thanks - I'll try some octane boost and see if that helps - only 92 octane in CA.

I use an octane booster in mine, if I don't it sounds like it's going to fall apart.

you may be hearing your chain slapping also, there is a fix for this by putting silicone under your chain guard on the swingarm

I bought my 07' brought it home and did not even ride it till I did the free mods... I got em' done and went for a ride around the neighborhood and experienced some horrendous pinging and knocking

It was the gas :applause: :applause: :p

Yes chain slap to the untrained ear could sound like engine knock too....