Pinging/knocking?

Just rode my new for me '04 WR450. Noticed if I give it a lot of throttle at low revs, it sounded like it was pinging/knocking. Is this common? Advice?

Thanks!

Just rode my new for me '04 WR450. Noticed if I give it a lot of throttle at low revs, it sounded like it was pinging/knocking. Is this common? Advice?

Thanks!

No, it needs higher octane fuel. That engine has a 12.5:1 compression ratio and requires 95 octane. But I run 92 pump gas and never heard it ping. Make sure you are not hearing chain slap.

No, it needs higher octane fuel. That engine has a 12.5:1 compression ratio and requires 95 octane. But I run 92 pump gas and never heard it ping. Make sure you are not hearing chain slap.

Thanks - I'll try some octane boost and see if that helps - only 92 octane in CA.

91/92 octane is fine

I use an octane booster in mine, if I don't it sounds like it's going to fall apart.

you may be hearing your chain slapping also, there is a fix for this by putting silicone under your chain guard on the swingarm

I bought my 07' brought it home and did not even ride it till I did the free mods... I got em' done and went for a ride around the neighborhood and experienced some horrendous pinging and knocking

It was the gas :applause: :applause: :p

Yes chain slap to the untrained ear could sound like engine knock too....