HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gizler00

99 YZ400f Backfiring and Lingering Idle

4 posts in this topic

My 400f backfires when you let off the throttle from a rev and it will hang high for a second or two before dropping down to idle. Now i have been told that this might me an air leak but im not sure. I also have a hard time starting the bike. I kicked it today for about 15 min straight and no start just backfired two times. Im not sure if its out of timing or not. I also need to check to see what size jets I have in it. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thanks

If the valves are in spec I'd agree with an air leak or that it is jetted really lean. I had air leak problems in 03 and since then I have kept an eye on things related to intake and the intake bell's o-ring.

Bill

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am going to tear into the carb this week and see whats going on. I checked the timing earlier today and it is correct. I think that the carb is clogged up with something. Thanks for all the help.