Aftermarket Seat for XR650L

Does anyone besides Corbin make a replacement dual-sport seat for the XR650L, specifically one that will work with an Acerbis 6.0gal tank?

Loves the Sargent I had on my Vulcan but they don't offer one for the XRL's. I've seen some home-brewed fixes, but I'd like to keep the stock seat as-is so I can switch back and forth when I want to do some local off-roading.

http://renazco.com/ is the way to go. Corbin is an off the rack replacement seat. takes a long time to break in. Far to long. for the extra $65 you can ger the Renazco which is costom made from top to botton. corbin sailes guys have no clue as to what you want,all thay do is take your order. At Renazco you are on the phone with the seat maker working out every detail until you are happy. well worth the extra $65. It looks and feels alot better as well.

400 bucks is a lot of money for a seat! I have an extra stock seat and looking into adding a gel pad and some foam and recovering. Seat cover and pad should be about 100-140 bucks. What do you guys think? Will it work, or am I wasting my time and money?

It's definitely doable, buy how many times will you have to do it to get it right (shape, foam density, gel placement, etc)? I've thought about picking up a spare seat and doing the same, but by the time you figure in the cost of the seat, the cost of the materials to modify it and the time invested, $350-400 isn't really that bad of a price. Your odds of getting it just right the first time aren't that great, and I'd rather spend that time riding.

The other option is to work with a local auto upholstery shop. I've seen a few people mention they were charged less than $100 to modify and recover a motorcycle seat, so if I were to get a spare seat that's probably the route I'd go.

http://renazco.com/ is the way to go. Corbin is an off the rack replacement seat. takes a long time to break in. Far to long. for the extra $65 you can ger the Renazco which is costom made from top to botton. corbin sailes guys have no clue as to what you want,all thay do is take your order. At Renazco you are on the phone with the seat maker working out every detail until you are happy. well worth the extra $65. It looks and feels alot better as well.

Does Renazco offer a gripper material for the top other than suade? Suade isn't moisture or UV protected, so I really don't want to go that route, but I want something with more tack to it than standard vinyl. Would be nice if they had online material samples like Corbin does with both a description and photo of the material.

I'm glad for those two links. I took my XRL out for it's maiden voyage yesterday and put on about 140 miles. How could I say this delicately, um, MY HINEY WAS KILLING ME. Plus the angle of the seat kept making me slide forward bunching everything up. So far it's the only negative, but a big one:prof:

If you don't mind the do it yourself aspect my bike came with one of these.

http://www.saddlemen.com/dualsportindex.html

The seating surface is a blend of spandex and nylon with a gel insert, very comfortable. I think they are right around $100.

XRL06.jpg

This might actually be the best/cheapest way to go, thanks for the link! BTW, what panniers are those? Look like the ones TSC sells for ATV's for about $40.

Its has nothing to do with what we think, but , How you want your bike to look. I am getting ready to do more research on seats. Renazco is the way to go if you want a true custon seat. Corbin cant even compare. I have been spooked of the phone with those guys several times because all they want to do is place your order. they know nothing about your bike or what you are talking about with anything tec.. The seats they sell are mass produced and no where near the quality. The beak in time for the seat is far to long Renazco seats... you talk to the seat maker. there are only two of them. they know bikes and what you want in a seat. On a side note for all looking for after market seats. the 600 and the 650 have the exact same seat. so when looking make sure you check that as well. Factory Effex has the nicest covers i think. then gutts then xr's only I am still unsure as to what i want to do.

This might actually be the best/cheapest way to go, thanks for the link! BTW, what panniers are those? Look like the ones TSC sells for ATV's for about $40.

Those are walmart atv tank panniers.:applause: They hold front and rear tubes, tow rope, engine oil and a water bottle. I'm not crazy about how they look, whatever it takes to get some weight off the subframe and my back. They make the front tire stick, too. :applause:

These guys, http://renazco.com/, specialize in dual sport seats. Might contact them and see what they can do for ya.

The seats look comfy thats for sure, I wonder if anyone has one on an L that they can share a picture of?

btw, my seat is stock and i just wear a pair of cycling shorts under my pants, sure isn't a pretty sight but I usually make it a rule NOT to let anyone see me till I get the old trousers up....:applause:

I know the bad rap on corbin well since I have lived it,but I do have to say that after haveing to mod the seat so it would fit the bike(yes it did not fit the xrl that I bought it for) One year and 4000 mi I'm very happy with the comfort of it and I like the looks of it too.

• 6 months later...

After a ton of searching and checking options I finally upgraded my seat. I purchased a corbin of ebay. I quickly found that it is not a good seat for off road use. To wide, slick, hard and heavy! I had also purchased a used gel pad to put on top the corbin. The solution was to take the pad and have it installed into the stock seat. $25 pad, $40 to have it installed.