HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Climber

Dents in bottom frame rails???

10 posts in this topic

This is on a 426 so it is a chromoly frame. How big of a dent before the frame is significantly weakend.

In this case, it is on the bottom after the bend from the down tubes, right before the foot peg. It is not across any welds. I runs about 3 inches long and about 1/8" to 3/16" deep.

BTW, this is not mine. It is for sale for about 1800. I believe in glide plates for this very reason.

Thanks

This is on a 426 so it is a chromoly frame. How big of a dent before the frame is significantly weakend.

In this case, it is on the bottom after the bend from the down tubes, right before the foot peg. It is not across any welds. I runs about 3 inches long and about 1/8" to 3/16" deep.

BTW, this is not mine. It is for sale for about 1800. I believe in glide plates for this very reason.

Thanks

The lower frame rails, especially around the footpeg extensions that is not covered by the skid plate , looks like swiss cheese on one of my WR400's. Doesn't seem to have had any effect on the bike though.

The stock (or any) "glide" plates do not protect that part of the frame or water pump or ignition. Bought mine with a similar size dent as you describe & put a full skid plate on it the next day. No problems with mine & you can't even see it now with the bash plate installed. I just dented the downtube between the tank & footpeg last weekend racing (fell right on top of a pointed rock) can't hide that one-just glad it wasn't my leg.

Thanks for the replies. I might try to get him down some more on the price.

thanks a lot dude! now i looked at mine and there all dented up too, they we're fine before you said anything :applause: but i think i'm gonna order one of those beefy looking TT skidplates, i could see it being a problem on my 426 since the oil is in that frame

The oil is only in the part of the frame under the head tube. The bottom frame rails are hollow.

The oil is onlt in the part of the frame under the head tube. The bottom frame rails are hollow.
Which is good, since they also have holes in them. :applause:

A dent in the cradle tubes no larger than 30% of the tube diameter is not an issue.

late model yamaha steel frames are not chromoly...just mild steel:thumbsup:

I've got the TT skidplate on my 426 and it has taken a beating! The thing is bent, banged, and gouged...hate to think what the frame would look like without it.