Try to figure this one out????????

Last Sunday I was hillcilmbing with my 06 YZ 450. It has a Rekluse. I didnt make a hill and as usuall I shut my bike off to get it off the hill to keep it from overheating. It wasnt one I could turn down and ride out. Anyway, when I did get pointed down and was riding out, MY BIKE BUMP STARTED:eek: How in the hell did this happen. I have had my Rekluse for over a year, this has never happened before and I tried to get it to do it agian and of course it wouldnt. Was this just a freak occurance or did something line up just right or what. :applause: :applause: :p

Never had that experience (as many times as I wish it would happen). Have even purposely tried at speed but to no avail. If there is a secret method to this please someone share. This is the ONLY downside of this clutch IMHO.

I have heard of this happening before as well, but just not for me though!! :p What happened was one of three things: #1 - Your clutch was not fully dis-engaged and had not "released" completely when you killed your engine. So when you started rolling, it "grabbed" and you were able to inadvertantly bump start the bike. :applause: #2 - I have read that, if given enough coasting speed, the tranny may spin fast enough to actually engage the rekluse. Again, I have tried this down some fast hills with no luck. :applause: #3 - You just got lucky!! Hey, some people hit the lottery, yours just happened to be a lucky bump start!! :p

More likely, there is simply so little resistance to turning the engine with the auto decompression system that whatever clutch drag you have was enough to roll the engine over, at least on that occasion.

Pull your clutch cover off and then remove the top plate. Flip the top plate around so you can see where the balls touch. If the plate has dips in it where the ball sits when the clutch is engauged you need a new top plate. I've seen this happen before. Call Rekluse they will send you another plate. Eventually the dips get big enough that the ball will no longer ramp back down and that will cause some more issues. Hope all of that makes sense...

I forgot to add that if the balls where caught in the dips, they would have kept the clutch locked up, thus bump starting your motor.

I am guessing it just didnt fully disengage. Maybe due to the "lug" of the climb or something. I have not gotten it to do it since. I wish there was a 'magic' way to make it bump start. Man, it freaked me out. :applause:

Pull your clutch cover off and then remove the top plate. Flip the top plate around so you can see where the balls touch. If the plate has dips in it where the ball sits when the clutch is engauged you need a new top plate. I've seen this happen before. Call Rekluse they will send you another plate. Eventually the dips get big enough that the ball will no longer ramp back down and that will cause some more issues. Hope all of that makes sense...

Thanks for the tip. I will definatley check to make sure I am good there. I had not heard/thought of that before. I did check my gap specs, still perfect after more than a year of hard use and some abuse. :applause: