650L- Anyone paint their sidepanels black?

No, but I saw a picture of one with the air dams painted black and it looked real sharp. Today I got a can of Fusion spray paint made specifically for plastic. I'll let you know how it goes. If it works on the airdams I guess you could use it on the side covers too.

How well does the paint hold up to off road use? I have also been thinking of trying this. Another thought was to use numberplate background the kind that comes in larg sheets. Anyone tried this??

I painted my R plastics with Fusion. I wasn't impressed with the fusion paint. I prepped the plastics with solvent, degreaser, then alcohol. I painted it in the sun, and it came out pretty uneven. I had to strip it and start over twice.

The can says not to use primer but that is BS. I finally used primer my last round. After using primer it came out great, nice and smooth. Hit it with a low or semi gloss clearcoat and it will take a beating with little or no wear. I've nicked my panels so many times with my boots and there's barely any evidence of a scratch after 1000 miles of street.

p4250262glowlargehk4.jpg

I painted my R plastics with Fusion. I wasn't impressed with the fusion paint. I prepped the plastics with solvent, degreaser, then alcohol. I painted it in the sun, and it came out pretty uneven. I had to strip it and start over twice.

The can says not to use primer but that is BS. I finally used primer my last round. After using primer it came out great, nice and smooth. Hit it with a low or semi gloss clearcoat and it will take a beating with little or no wear. I've nicked my panels so many times with my boots and there's barely any evidence of a scratch after 1000 miles of street.

p4250262glowlargehk4.jpg

Nice Bike! I love visiting the Bay area....GO A's! I also painted my side panels black with fusion. I did all the sanding then degreasing then painted. Turned out nice and shiney until......I dropped it. No big deal though, just clean then re-paint! My question is whats a good paint remover?

Hi XRUNT!

Here's what mine looks like with the Krylon fusion paint:

427230840_ba822c40e4_o.jpg

Baja Shakedown on FLICKR

I cleaned the plastics with acetone to get all of the dirt and grease off. Then I just sprayed it right on. 5 light coats looked great after drying. The paint is pretty flexible after drying. The tank is a black Clarke.

The bags did rub through the paint. and I ended up with a crack from a rock that started to peel on the "windscreen". I think it looks great!

I did my air dams and two medium coats did the trick. I didn't want to try scractching the paint to check for adhesion so I gave the back of one a spritz this morning and by this evening it was almost impossible to scratch off. No cleaning or sanding either!