Got my UNI filter. Nice, but......

the instructions are a little vague. It says that when you oil it, to remove the foam from the frame IF APPLICABLE. Well I don't see how it will come off since there is a cross piece of foam on the back. I also don't see how you could oil it real good while the foam is on the frame. Sooooo, what do you guys do?

While I'm at it, it says to use UNI oil - is the stuff from the Honda shop OK? Lastly, why would they put that strip of foam on the back of the filter - it looks like all it would do is impede air flow:excuseme: :applause: :applause: ?

You should be able to stretch the filter to get it off the frame. That cross piece is to keep the filter securely mounted to the frame. You don't have to use UNI filter oil. Honda oil would be fine but I use No-Toil oil and No-Toil cleaner because it's biodegradable and is really easy to use. I even bought a second UNI filter so I always have a clean one ready to go on the bike.

You should be able to stretch the filter to get it off the frame. That cross piece is to keep the filter securely mounted to the frame. You don't have to use UNI filter oil. Honda oil would be fine but I use No-Toil oil and No-Toil cleaner because it's biodegradable and is really easy to use. I even bought a second UNI filter so I always have a clean one ready to go on the bike.

I agree with you drop.:applause:

I also use No-Toil. Good and user friendly!

I just got a spare Uni for my L. :applause:

Since there is no bike shop nearby is there a product that I can get from Pep Boys or an auto parts store to oil it?

Can I use Simple Green to clean my old one?

I have used Simple Green to clean my filters and it works fine..:applause:

• Like 1

I found that my bike was breathing in dust with the Uni frame insert. I went back to using the stock back-fire screen(removing the UNI frame from the filter).

There was no noticable loss in power and the air-box was much cleaner at my filter change intervals. Keep in mind that I ride in VERY dusty conditions.

That cross piece is to keep the filter securely mounted to the frame.

That cross strip of foam kept my UNI filter from seating properly against the sealing surface, so I cut it off and now it fits fine, nice and snug. Will this cause any problems with the foam element slipping off the frame? I sometimes ride in very dusty conditions but mostly it's moderate to medium dusty, so I only clean air filters about 2-3 times per year.

I called Uni when I got my Filter re: the strip of foam and whether you can remove the foam from frame. The tech guy @ UNI said to NOT to cut the strip, and yes, you should be able top stretch the filter over frame for cleaning. I am using a K&N filter charger over the UNI and so far, so good (better that stock anyway)

I still use diesel or gass to clean mine and yes it recks the filter in time but, I go through lots of filters and clean then every big ride or after every weekend ride. I use the Golden spectro that is in the dark blue quart bottle or Bell Ray in the quart bottle (the blue supper tacky yucky sticky water proof stuff). Golden spectro seems thicker. The reason I use diesel or gas is because it is fast. I first use dish soap several times then use the fuel and there still is a ton of dirt that comes out at the end. Dries fast and then soak the filter in the water proof blue sticky, messy stuff, squeze out the extra and I use it. I don't let it drip the extra out, I use it. Seal around the UNI with Vasolene and make sure the frame is bent right. I also make sure the air filter cover fits in the groove every time. Never have I had any dust in the air box, on any other trouble. I have been through the worst silt in Baja, Mojavie, Dry clay beds.... the horsepower gain from a sticker is proportional to it's size! Yes, size does matter........don't listen to the lies!!!!

Decals provide not only seat-of-the-pants gains in horsepower, but also positive results on the dyno. :applause:

Decals also amount to the customer paying to advertise for some company. :applause: That's why my UNI stickers are sitting here on my desk.

With that said, it's not a 650R, but I use a UNI on my 600 and right now I have the aerosol UNI oil. I pull the foam off the frame and moderately spray it and knead the oil in. Then I put a layer of Maxima waterproof grease around the base, clip it down, and go. So far I haven't found any dust in the airbox or carb and I ride almost exclusively desert. It gets dirty fairly fast, but I use dishwashing liquid to break up the oil.

Just my experience.