HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowxr

Exhaust Valve adjustment. How do you get a screw driver in there?

9 posts in this topic

Options: Shorty screwdriver, offset screwdriver or one with a really long stem to give you a better angle

You can back the screw out 1/4 turn or so from the set position and then snug the jam nut with your fingers. Now tighten the jam nut with a wrench or socket and the screw will turn with it. It might take a couple tries to get it. Make sure to double check your work. On the 650R, you want the .006 and .008 to fit but you also want to get the .007 and .009 feeler gages to go in with resistance. In other words, set the valves slight to the loose side.

That's a nice tool but can you buy just the 10mm size?

No you have to buy the set and I got it from the MAC tools man that comes to my work and it was actually cheaper than they're web site was

You can back the screw out 1/4 turn or so from the set position and then snug the jam nut with your fingers. Now tighten the jam nut with a wrench or socket and the screw will turn with it. It might take a couple tries to get it. Make sure to double check your work. On the 650R, you want the .006 and .008 to fit but you also want to get the .007 and .009 feeler gages to go in with resistance. In other words, set the valves slight to the loose side.

Billahjack is right, if access to the valve covers is tight, you can do the procedure this way with good results. I just remove the tank. It takes more time but it provides wide-open access so you can see everything easily and get the adjustment done properly. My $0.02

XR650R.

The tips worked. I just loosened the bolt and turned the screw with my fingers. No problem.

thanks