06 YZ450 Questions?

Just bought a used 06 YZ450F yesterday and just wanted to know what kind of oil everybody likes. Also wanted to know of any other little things I need to know about these bikes. I have owned Yamaha 4 strokes in the past and loved the lack of maint. these bikes required. I aslo own an 06 KX450 that I like alot but just don't know if it will last as long as the YZ. If this YZ feels as good as my older 250f's did the KX is gone. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks Russ

Congrats on the '06! :applause: It's a great bike and you'll love it.

I use Castrol GPX and haven't had a problem with it. Intalled a Rekluse a while back, and will probably give Rotella a try (that's what Rekluse recommends).

Re: the 'little things' about the '06... it really depends on what the original owner did (or didn't do) to it.

Here's a list of what most people change:

1. Replace the front tire with one that actually grips;

2. Raise the handlebars (risers or a taller bend) unless you are vertically challenged

3. Replace chain (stocker is junk and will ruin the sprockets)

4. Raise the forks to the 5mm line (for improved cornering)

5. Rejet (stock jetting is very lean -- do a search. Lots of info on different set ups)

6. Grease the steering head bearings, swingarm and lower linkage as the factory is pretty 'conservative' with thier application of grease (which i've never understood... it's not like they are going to save much money cutting corners there. Since this is a used bike and you don't know what the previous owner did or didn't do, I would DEFINITELY do this before putting too many hours on the bike.)

Beyond that, do a search on different carb mods/work guys are doing to eliminate a bog/hesitation. After re-jetting mine, I have no complaints about the throttle response.

Good luck and have fun. The '06 is a sweet ride.:excuseme:? :p

Thanks everyone for the advice. Just got done greasing everything. It was dry. Thank god the guy only took it on 4 rides( I believe he really did). I have used Amsoil in my past bikes and loved it, just wanted to make sure it was ok.

Also wanted to know about that Rekluse. I am looking into getting one. Almost bought one a few weeks ago for my KX450(thank god I didn't). I live here in Tennessee and looking to get back into alot of woods riding. Here is a picture of the bike I bought. See if I can do this right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290108370486&rd=1,1

Thanks everyone for the advice. Just got done greasing everything. It was dry. Thank god the guy only took it on 4 rides( I believe he really did). I have used Amsoil in my past bikes and loved it, just wanted to make sure it was ok.

Also wanted to know about that Rekluse. I am looking into getting one. Almost bought one a few weeks ago for my KX450(thank god I didn't). I live here in Tennessee and looking to get back into alot of woods riding. Here is a picture of the bike I bought. See if I can do this right.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290108370486&rd=1,1

That sucks... the goober took the graphics off:thumbsdn:

At least now you have an excuse to get new ones.:applause:

What specifically do you want to know about the Rekluse? If you mainly trailride, and if you like tighter, technical stuff (rock gardens, roots, creeks, technical hill climbs) adding a Rekluse will be one of the best mods you will ever do. If you like more 'wide open' riding (fire service/logging roads, four-wheeler trails or desert riding) don't bother.

Check out Rekluse's website for lots of good info., but the Rekluse is an automatic clutch that allows you to focus on riding and not clutching. You still have to shift (obviously) but as long as you are in the right (or nearly right) gear, the clutch does the feathering for you. If you have the engagement adjusted/set up right, the bike will never stall. You can literally lock up the rear tire (w/o clutching) and get back into the throttle without missing a beat.

They came out with a 'Pro' version within the last year that will allow you to use the clutch lever if you want to, with a near stock clutch feel. This is helpful, but to be honest, I rarely use it (added reving and feathering on hill climbs is about it).

Only 3 downsides that I have experienced:

1. You cannot bump start the bike;

2. They are pricey;

3. You feel guilty when you are passing your riding buddies on the more technical terrain or when you get done riding and you feel like you are cheating :applause::excuseme:?

... other than that, they are awesome if you can spare the cash.

Tell the seller you want the Henry graphics - the white and red, they look cool, and if he's paying, might as well get the best.

Not sure the seller would be willing to lay out cash for both the graphics and the plastics that come with the Henry kit... but it doesn't hurt to ask.:applause:

Between the two he offers, I'd go with the one industries over OEM (unless you are absolutely sold on the OEM/stock look). They look a little cleaner and are made out of better/more durable materials.

I just put a rekluse in my 06. I realy like it and all I ridden on the bike, so far, is mx.

It doesn't really change the bike that much. It took me one lap to get use to it. It still has the same amount of compression braking untill the motor drops out of the "ridable" rpm range. Then it freewheels. I did away with my clutch lever and don't miss it. I go through corners a little faster because my acceleration is smoother. However, it will not stop you from loosing the back-end if you hammer the throttle.

The main thing that it does is reduce arm pump in my left arm a little and it is less likely to die under hard braking. You can kill it if you lock up the back brake from a high rpm, I did this. When the motor dies in the air, it has no affect on the attitude of the bike as the back wheel just freewheels (my vent failed, resulting in vapour lock) But, if you ride the bike the way you should you will not have a problem with stalling. Holeshots are no different. It still comes down to reaction time and traction/wheelie control.

There is NO bumpstarting it.

For the woods, it will make everything better.

It is like a great big PW50 with a "little" more power. :applause:

I am gonna look for a rekluse. I think that would be the stuff here in Tennessee. The original owner blew the graphics off power washing the bike. If he sends me the graphics I will be shocked, since I only gave $3500 for the bike. Does one industries sell graphics for the yellow plastic. I haven't found anyone yet who sells graphics for the yellow bikes.

And another question? Rode bike for the first time yesterday and there was a mid rpm bog that was giving me fits. Anyone else have this problem and how did they fix it?

I have run Amsoil for about 5 years now and knock on wood I have had no major problems. The one time I did have a major problem I had my 05 CRF450 in the shop for crank bearings and I told the mechanic to put Amsoil sythetic in it. Well, after two rides when the bike locked up on the face of a jump I asked the mechanic what oil he installed. He said he never used synthetic just changed oil after every ride. To make a long story short, I dislocated my shoulder, shattered shoulder blade and my shoulder is now very limited. Have I ever told ya'll how much I hate Honda's.

I am gonna look for a rekluse. I think that would be the stuff here in Tennessee. The original owner blew the graphics off power washing the bike. If he sends me the graphics I will be shocked, since I only gave $3500 for the bike. Does one industries sell graphics for the yellow plastic. I haven't found anyone yet who sells graphics for the yellow bikes.

And another question? Rode bike for the first time yesterday and there was a mid rpm bog that was giving me fits. Anyone else have this problem and how did they fix it?

Yes... One Industries does sell a 'retro' Hurrican kit for the yellow plastics. (and I'm assuming that unlike the Henry Kit -- where you are forced to buy the plastics kit w/ the graphics -- you can buy the Hurrican kit in graphics-only form).

Re: the engine bogs on the '06, do a search in this forum. There is TONs of info (and opinions) on bogs.

Dude you bought the bike for 4g's? That was one hell of a deal. Congratulations.

No, he bought it for $3500, even better than 4 g's. $3500 - that's about half what I paid for mine new off the floor in september '06, and mine's not the LE. Oh well, some people have all the luck...I was just reading in the two-smoke forum about some kid paid $200 for his '97 Yz250. Deals like those only come around once it seems, and never in MY neighborhood...

I will look up the One Industries Hurricane Kit here in a minute! I appreciate the help guys. Like I said earlier, I rode the bike for the first time the other day and man does this bike feel light compared to my KX450. If I can get the YZ to have the bottom end my KX does I will have the perfect bike. What does everyone think about putting a 50 tooth sprocket on the rear?

If I can get the YZ to have the bottom end my KX does I will have the perfect bike. What does everyone think about putting a 50 tooth sprocket on the rear?
Lowering the gearing doesn't give the bike any more bottom end. In fact, it simply utilizes the higher RPM capabilities of the engine to make up for it.

You can wake up the low end noticeably with a Dr.D full system, and if you specify that's what you want, MRD will build you one to do exactly that. But the '06 is an extremely deceptive ride. Everyone knows an '03 YZ450 is "explosive", and has more low-midrange power than most people can manage, right? On pavement, my two bikes run side-by-side dead even until the the high end of 3rd, where the '06 pulls away. You'd never guess that to ride them both in the dirt separately.

More on gearing:

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4562782#post4562782