HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steed2

O.K. Guys i need you're help.?

9 posts in this topic

Well to begin with i am very mechanically inclined { im a transmission mechanic} but i have no idea how the front forks work on the xr650r ...anyways to my questions

1. How do I change the fork seals. { Ive been told to remove the center bolt at the bottom of the fork leg and then it will separate}???

2. How do i fill it with oil, to what level, and what weight would you recommend..{ light jumping ...rough trails....ect}

Thanks to who ever can help me

Scott

up in the top right theres a link that says "search this forum" type front forks in there and it will show all threads for fork anything and there are a few in there that prolly should help you out alot.

Both Borynack's and the Haymakers site (xr650r.us) go into good detail about fork rebuilding. I think the haymakers site even tells you how to make your own tool to get the forks apart.

Both Borynack's and the Haymakers site (xr650r.us) go into good detail about fork rebuilding. I think the haymakers site even tells you how to make your own tool to get the forks apart.

You can download a PDF manual from this site too, it'll help you a lot with the forx. Yes you need to take out the adjuster at the bottom, if you have an impact you don't need Honda tools or anything special. It will spin the bolt fast enough to let it release.

I weigh 160 and thought the suspention was too stiff for me so my mechanic cleaned out the stock fluid (honda fork oil reputed to suck) and put in "golden spectro" 85/150 synthetic petroleum cartidge fork fluid very light oil in both the fork and the shock. Also they put in progressive suswpention fork springs from Al Baker 's now my XR650R eats rough dirt and gravel road for lunch I cant hardly even feel it anymore.

I heard that you can use an impact to take the bolt out of the bottom of the fork, the Allen bit cost me $20 though, and I had to order it from MSC, but it does the trick. And if you have the money, precision concepts is the the best shop for the XR650r period, be prepared to swap to a CR500 shock though.

ya sorry i didnt reply earlier just ive been busy but ya i just used my impact and removed the lower 14mm bolt all done worked great also.....the factory oil in there it looked like gear oil out a a 79 chevy differential....lol anyways thanks for the help guys