XR650L convert big goofy taillight to small R model type

Ok.....so I would like to take off that giant taillight on my 2001 XR650L and replace it with the small model that fits the spot on the fender. I need tail, brake and the small strip that lights the plate. Where can i find the taillight ????

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just don't get the Acerbis light! It does not fit.

The light shown is more likely to pass DOT because it has a licence plate light. If your willing to chance it you can use the light for the XRR but it has no light for licence. It does fit right into the spot where the rubber boot goes. The other option is to chance to an MX rear fender and fet an under the fender LED set up. Those look pretty slick, but you into replacing the fender as well as the light.

Looks like it fits good, I'm going to have to get one of those. What about blinkers? I think I need something a touch more streamlined. I also want to move them back a little bit so I can use my technik saddle bags. They are off of a sport bike but with a few tweaks I think I can get the mounted in a location that will work for me. Right now I can't get them back far enough because of the blinkers.

I have the procycle one on my bike and it fits and works great! They actually used the picture of mine in their ad.

I have a Maier enduro similar tailight to the procycle, it did not bolt up directly to my XR650L fender. I made a small tab to pick up one of the mount holes.

Also, the running light i sfine but when the brake is actuated there is the smallest amount of change in brightness. I've tried a new bulb but no change. On the road it's undistinguishable to people behind you. Wiring is right, so not sure what the issue is. In lieu of getting the mx fender with a BD LED under fender unit, I ordered a LED 1157 replacement bulb and a square LED lamp thing to try.

My fender is from a 650L and I did not use grommets. It bolted right up to the fender.

Yes, it is quite possible to do that using screws and steel washers alone, however this will cause more vibration and cause more filament failures. The stock xr600r uses the rubber grommets to somewhat isolate the unit. The acerbis light screws directly to the plastic fender and people have complained about bulbs burning out frequently. One of the nice aspects of the huge stock unit on the L bikes is that the whole complex is rubber isolated.

Is the whole base of the ProCycle unit soft rubber? (Maybe this would solve the problem.)

Also, the running light i sfine but when the brake is actuated there is the smallest amount of change in brightness. I've tried a new bulb but no change. On the road it's undistinguishable to people behind you. Wiring is right, so not sure what the issue is. In lieu of getting the mx fender with a BD LED under fender unit, I ordered a LED 1157 replacement bulb and a square LED lamp thing to try.

Is it possible you have the brake and running light wires switched...this happened to me and I had the same symptoms you describe. Try reversing their positions coming into your light housing, you may see a difference.

Is it possible you have the brake and running light wires switched...this happened to me and I had the same symptoms you describe. Try reversing their positions coming into your light housing, you may see a difference.

I'll double check it but if I remember correctly, it didn't change. we'll see

Yes, it is quite possible to do that using screws and steel washers alone, however this will cause more vibration and cause more filament failures. The stock xr600r uses the rubber grommets to somewhat isolate the unit. The acerbis light screws directly to the plastic fender and people have complained about bulbs burning out frequently. One of the nice aspects of the huge stock unit on the L bikes is that the whole complex is rubber isolated.

Is the whole base of the ProCycle unit soft rubber? (Maybe this would solve the problem.)

Yes, the whole base sits on rubber.

650_Shark....There is a huge difference between tail and brake light on mine. The thing is actually brighter than the tail/brake lights on my truck! :applause:

650_Shark, the wiring sounds like you have the ground crossed. I had the same problem because the light was trying to ground though one of the hot wires. I would check again. That is EXACTLY what my light was doing and it is fine now.

650_Shark....There is a huge difference between tail and brake light on mine. The thing is actually brighter than the tail/brake lights on my truck! :applause:
650_Shark, the wiring sounds like you have the ground crossed. I had the same problem because the light was trying to ground though one of the hot wires. I would check again. That is EXACTLY what my light was doing and it is fine now.

I'm an idiot guys....Bcone was exactly right, ground was crossed. what a world of difference. Now people aren't going be up my arse when I'm slowing down, oh yeah I'll pass inspection . Thanks for making me check the wiring.