Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
steve_97060

Another Rear Wheel Bearing question

3 posts in this topic

I removed the rear wheel and was checking the bearings, and noticed that the long spacer that rides between the two wheel bearings was loose on the sprocket side, it seems to have about a 1/4 inch of play both horizontally and vertically. The brake side doesn't have much play at all in it, is there supposed to be this much difference in each side, or do I have a problem with the hub/bearings?

thanks for any input...

It's immaterial. The spacer slides over the axle and is clamped between the bearings to allow the axle to be tightened without loading the bearings along the shaft axis. It cannot move off center once in place, and does not turn, nor does anything turn against it. Unless I completely misunderstand what you're telling me, it's fine.

It's immaterial. The spacer slides over the axle and is clamped between the bearings to allow the axle to be tightened without loading the bearings along the shaft axis. It cannot move off center once in place, and does not turn, nor does anything turn against it. Unless I completely misunderstand what you're telling me, it's fine.

yeah, it the tube the axle slides thru, I was concerned with the amount of play on the sprocket side versus the other...everything else seems fine...

thanks for the input Gray, can always count on you, even late on sunday nights!!