HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
black_n_blue_thumper

How hot should the clutch cover be?

5 posts in this topic

I did a search and didnt find what I was looking for. When I start my bike, 06 450 F, the clutch cover gets pretty hot fairly quickly. Its not so hot that I cant hold my hand on it, but pretty close. It gets up to temp within 30 seconds or so. Does this sound about right. I have a Rekluse and use the bigger required gasket. I am just a little nervous because I had a screw come out of the rekluse pressure plate last week and put a grove into my clutch cover and filled my filter with aluminum shavings. After cleaning the mess up, changing my oil numerous times and checking the clutch for more shavings, I blew a gasket about 5 minutes into my ride last night ( 1st ride since the last time I had the cover off). I am guessing I just tried to reuse the gasket one to many times, but none the less that is why I am a little jumpy right now. Any help , as always, will be appreciated.

I guess I wasnt just worried for nothing. When I had put the new gasket on I did put on a thicker gasket, but it must not have been thick enough.:applause: I got one form my buddy and he told me it was a Rekluse gasket but it was just thin enough to allow the Rekluse pressure plate to 'rub' on the cover. I had noticed that my Rekluse wasnt 'acting' right, it was stalling some and the cover was still hot. So I took the cover off and saw the grooves and aluminum shavings in there. Luckily I had an actual Rekluse cover with me so I swapped it out and bingo, things got back to normal right away. And now it doesnt heat up anywhere near like it was before. :excuseme: