HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fusedbrain

2000 WR400 no timing mark

9 posts in this topic

Guys,

I just did rings and piston on my WR400's engine. I'm about to do the timing. My shop manual says that I should be able to see a line on the rotor through the hole on the rotor cover. Mine doesn't have a line so I'm not sure how I can line it up.

All it has is an arrow and the letters HI. The arrow is horizontal so not sure that it's of any help. Have any of you seen this before? I could use some advice here.

Thanks,

Fusedbrain

The "I" in the "HI" is actually the TDC mark. Line up the "I" with the notch for TDC and ignore the H and arrow.

Ok I will line up with the I. Is there a reason why some models use the HI instead of the line? I'm just trying to understand the reasoning. Thanks for the information.

Fusedbrain

They all have the HI, none of the WR's have just a line. I don't know why they have not updated the manual with this information, I would venture to guess that this is the most frequently asked question when it comes to timing your motor for the first time. Silly Yamaha , great bikes though!

I just wanted to thank you for your time and the information. I was completly sent for a loop when I didn't see the line

Oh and yes I love that WR, it's the perfect bike for me.

Cheers,

Fusedbrain

The "H" is used for dynamic timing check with a timing light. Although I don't know what page it's on, I know it's in the manual.

The "H" is used for dynamic timing check with a timing light. Although I don't know what page it's on, I know it's in the manual.

AH!!! Now that you mention it I do remember reading that somewhere. I still believe the manual could be more clear when setting TDC. Thanks for the correction, I hate handing out bad info.

Josh

Hi there,

You guys have been very helpfull.

So I still line up the I for the TDC??

Dynamic is with a timing gun?

Thanks,

Fusedbrain.