Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Boricua

07 YZ450F Hard upshifting Gears

10 posts in this topic

I just got a 07 YZ450F and I am having problems upshifting gears. Sometimes they are get hard and they don't go up. Has anyone experienced that?

I have an 06 that i have noticed a few times going from 1st to 2nd is not always smooth. Im going to drop my shift lever down a tooth so it sits a little lower. Im thinking this might help as long as its not too tight to get my boot in there.

I tried lowering the lever, but then is difficult to shift when I am standing up on the bike.

I've heard from a few 07 owners that they have a hard time shifting.

Some people have cured the problem with synthetic oil.

Personally, the only time I've had a hard time shifting is when I bend a shift lever.

good luck

The only time my '06 is hard to shift is when it's under a significant load, either acceleration or deceleration, and that's because the undercut on the locking lugs in the trans is holding against the shift effort. Using the clutch, or a properly timed blip of the throttle, and it shifts better and with less effort than any YZ I've seen prior to this.

I just got a 07 YZ450F and I am having problems upshifting gears. Sometimes they are get hard and they don't go up. Has anyone experienced that?

Could also simply be your tranny is new, and still breaking in. Give it some time. My '07 YZ's shifting is a little notchy also, but I am sure things will loosen up after a month of power shifting!

My bike is very new also. I figured that it would loosen up after some more seat time. Either that or ill just find a bigger hammer :applause:

Mine was a little notchy during break-in and has since cleaned itself up. I also recently changed my oil to Rotella Synthetic and noticed even smoother shifting, so apparently their is something to the synthetic oil thing also.

Don't worry it will go away. I had the same thing in my mind a couple of oil changes and some good time on her and my 07 is shifting well