Count Me In!!! New 2007 XR650L Owner

I purchased a new 07 XR650L about three weeks ago and have about 400 miles. I'm very satisfied with the bike both on and off road, it's just fun to drive.

I enjoy the doing the mods, and have been at work on the bike already. To date, I have replaced the handle bars with Pro-Taper ATV High, performed Dave's carb adjustments with jetting 55/158, removed the snorkle, and removed the smog stuff.

Removing the smog stuff took away the backfiring, and taking off the bike really cleans things up. This combined with removing the snorkle and the carb mods really improves the performance with smoother throttle response.

Question for you guys, what is the best air filter to replace the stock? I'm using the bike for both on and offroad, but I don't normally ride in a ton of dust although its possible.

I prefer the UNI over the K&N. Heard lots of guys here complain about fine dirt getting past the K&N.

Todd

enjoy your bike:ride:

I just got one too and am doing similar mods. My family thinks I'm nut because I have a bike with four miles on it sitting on a lift a all taken apart:thumbsup: I ordered th Uni, but I just read on another thread here that someone suspected some intake valve wear due to this filter. Who knows?:applause:

do daves MOD to the carb best thing you can do

Welcome to the club. The 12 step program is lurking in your future.

I put the UNI filter on mine. I just keep it oiled really well. It seems to do fine, and is easy to clean. If I had to do it again, I would look closer at the NoToil filters they seem like good filters.

I just did the Pro taper atv bars on my 03 650 also, did you drill little holes in the bars for the indicator and stop switch holder?

I didn't drill holes, I just filed the little plastic pin off of the indicator and stop switch. They clamp on tight enough it's not needed, plus I'm not sure it's a good thing to drill holes in the ALU bars. Might cause a failure point in the future.

UNI with no-toil oil/cleaner

I didn't drill holes, I just filed the little plastic pin off of the indicator and stop switch. They clamp on tight enough it's not needed, plus I'm not sure it's a good thing to drill holes in the ALU bars. Might cause a failure point in the future.

Also, this allows them to rotate on impact, instead of breaking. That's always good.

Dave