07 WR450 First ride report(long)

Hello All,

After finishing the break-in, I had the WR out today for the first real ride. It is an 07 450 with the throttle stop cut, air box snork removed, and the pea shooter out of the stinger. Gray wire still connected. Stock jetting with no changes.

For reference, I am coming off an uncorked 02 WR426 with GYTR insert.

First impressions.......I rode in very tight wooded rutted trails with lots of rocks and roots. Very dry and very little mud, even in the ruts. This thing steers! You are up over the front way easier than the 426.

1st through 3rd gear feel way closer and the bike will easily pull the front up in all 3, even when the revs are down. Very responsive throttle. Lofting over anything is very easy. This thing tracks very well too. Straight up and over the rocks with little deflection.

No popping, not once, nothing. Very little bog when popping the throttle in 1st or 2nd when the revs are low. Almost non-existent, but very occasionally hiccups. Not sure if its annoying yet.

Can't stall it. Nope. Where the 426 would stall, this thing just keeps running. Very low speed, stuck in roots or rocks, keeps running. I used the clutch way less than the 426.

Suspension? I am 240 with gear, 6ft tall. It seems a tad stiff, but does not deflect sideways. Seems controlled and smooth, just stiff. Have not messed with any of the suspension settings. May try to soften the compression a little.

The seat is a rock. If you don't already, your butt is going to either be bruised or turn to leather. I don't stand nearly enough but this might just force me to.

Some "issues"....The brake lever is further away from the grip. I have to reach to get my finger tips on it. I got to change this. The 426 lever was right there. No problem on the clutch side.

I also had fuel from the tank overflow hose spit out during the whole ride. Coated the back side of the front fender. Anybody else have this? Is there a fix? Bike ran fine but I would prefer to keep all the fuel in the tank for use.

And I saved the best for last...The BUTTON. Yes, there is a God, and he rides and electric start dirtbike!!! Awesome.

Complaints? None really. Only have about 2.5 hours on the thing. I am slightly disappointed with the power in 4th and 5th. I think my 426 is stronger up top. Is this the gray wire or Jetting? I still have the gray wire connected on the 426. Power in 1-3 is better on the 450, but seems very flat in 4th and 5th.

Oh, and the 450 definitely revs smoother. Way less engine vibration.

Well, that's it for now. Comments?

Regards

Don

Don,

Your bike set up sounded just like my on my first ride. Since then I did the gray wire thing, JD jet kit, smog removal, zip-tye screw, and tail pipe end cap upgrade. All for about $184 through the TT store.

WOW! It's a totaly different bike! Once you do "all" of the mod's brother you will be a true beleaver.

PS, thank you, to all of the TT members that steered me in the right direction. It's now the bike that I dreamed it would be.

Don,

Your bike set up sounded just like my on my first ride. Since then I did the gray wire thing, JD jet kit, smog removal, zip-tye screw, and tail pipe end cap upgrade. All for about $184 through the TT store.

WOW! It's a totaly different bike! Once you do "all" of the mod's brother you will be a true beleaver.

PS, thank you, to all of the TT members that steered me in the right direction. It's now the bike that I dreamed it would be.

Couldnt have said it better myself. I hope you know all about the air filter cage issue............if not do a search.

don319, my bike is setup like yours and after about 2 months with it I couldnt be happier. I tried the grey wire mod and it did seem to have more top end but it had way too much engine braking with it unhooked?? Anyway the only other mod I have done is to install a 12 tooth counter, which really worked out for the type of areas I ride in. Enjoy

Complaints? None really. Only have about 2.5 hours on the thing. I am slightly disappointed with the power in 4th and 5th. I think my 426 is stronger up top. Is this the gray wire or Jetting?

I hope the power issue is just jetting. I just finished jetting my 07 last night and didn't get a chance to ride it yet, other than to simply fire up the motor to see if it will run. But I clearly remember when riding up and down my street with stock jetting that I was NOT blown away by the power like I was on my brother's XC450.

don319, my bike is setup like yours and after about 2 months with it I couldnt be happier. I tried the grey wire mod and it did seem to have more top end but it had way too much engine braking with it unhooked?? Anyway the only other mod I have done is to install a 12 tooth counter, which really worked out for the type of areas I ride in. Enjoy

What areas do you ride in? I live in So Cal and ride all the trails around here. What did the 12 tooth do? I plugged my grey wire back in because I felt there was too much engine braking also.

Black Sheep I live in NorCal and do most of my riding at Hollister Hills, Metcalf Road and Carnigie. Between tham they have a mix of steep hills, flowing firerode type trails and some singletrack which Iam mainly working no now. Anyway the 12 tooth lets me work in 2-3 RD gear with good power and not really having to be going too fast in the tighter sections. I had a 02 WR426 and dropped the stock 14 to a 13 on it and I belive they are close in gearing. I think the later 426-450s have different gear spacing in the transmission itself. It really has helped me with control issuses in the tight sections

GUTS Racing tall soft seat foam and Hardcore Gripper cover have been on all my WR's and I love it most on my 07'.

Give that suspension a few hours to break in.... I'm 200lbs and I know it's sprung to soft at this point..

I just raced the bike for the first time last weekend and had a blast!

GUTS Racing tall soft seat foam and Hardcore Gripper cover have been on all my WR's and I love it most on my 07'

Could you post a picture or two of the tall seat on the 07 from a couple of different angles? Thanks.

Could you post a picture or two of the tall seat on the 07 from a couple of different angles? Thanks.

wr008.jpg.

wr005.jpg

wr004.jpg

wr014.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics but they should give you a sense of the fit and finish.... There are times that I think the "soft" foam might be a little soft but there are other times that feel it is just right (like 80 miles into a ride....)

wr008.jpg.

wr005.jpg

wr004.jpg

wr014.jpg

Sorry for the blurry pics but they should give you a sense of the fit and finish.... There are times that I think the "soft" foam might be a little soft but there are other times that feel it is just right (like 80 miles into a ride....)

Looks good. Does Guts offer a choice of foam firmness? Is the foam a complete replacement or just a layer that's added on top of the stock foam? Also what was the total cost. Thanks.

Looks good. Does Guts offer a choice of foam firmness? Is the foam a complete replacement or just a layer that's added on top of the stock foam? Also what was the total cost. Thanks.

Yes they offer I believe 3 different densities or firmness of foam, it is a complete foam replacement, their "hardcore gripper" cover is what I have always used and seems to perform well. I believe the cost for both pieces was around $80. Installation is pretty easy, all you really need is a T50 or heavier duty staple gun but most upholstery shops can do it for around $30. I've always installed my own but my guess is they could do it faster and better:thumbsup:

gutsracing.com is the web site but it's not updated, call them direct for what you want.

Yes they offer I believe 3 different densities or firmness of foam, it is a complete foam replacement, their "hardcore gripper" cover is what I have always used and seems to perform well. I believe the cost for both pieces was around $80. Installation is pretty easy, all you really need is a T50 or heavier duty staple gun but most upholstery shops can do it for around $30. I've always installed my own but my guess is they could do it faster and better:thumbsup:

gutsracing.com is the web site but it's not updated, call them direct for what you want.

If you ship your stock seat base to them they will install foam and cover for free. Well worth the 5 or $10 and the seat is heaven on long rides. :applause:

Sounds like a big thumbs up for the 2007 WR 450.........I'm looking to get one for my next bike.

Thumbs up it is :applause::excuseme:? Today I took my bike on its first ride after rejetting. Endless amount of power!!!!! (my previous bike is XR400 just so you know) No boggin...no TPS issues at 50+ mph, ran great in all conditions. I took it from Doves Springs to McGiver's Cabin at elevation 6400+, No problem! Ran like a charm from start to the end.

However, I did think the suspension felt a little harsh for a trail bike. I think next, I will have my suspension redone to make it more plush. My brother had his XC450 done by ESP, and I really like how it handles now. Plush on top, but won't bottom out on woops at high speeds.

Thumbs up it is :applause::excuseme:? Today I took my bike on its first ride after rejetting. Endless amount of power!!!!! (my previous bike is XR400 just so you know) No boggin...no TPS issues at 50+ mph, ran great in all conditions. I took it from Doves Springs to McGiver's Cabin at elevation 6400+, No problem! Ran like a charm from start to the end.

However, I did think the suspension felt a little harsh for a trail bike. I think next, I will have my suspension redone to make it more plush. My brother had his XC450 done by ESP, and I really like how it handles now. Plush on top, but won't bottom out on woops at high speeds.

Give the suspension another ride or two... I put about 400 miles on mine before it broke in and now I am thinking it's too soft and I will have to re-spring... (I am 200 lbs)

Give the suspension another ride or two... I put about 400 miles on mine before it broke in and now I am thinking it's too soft and I will have to re-spring... (I am 200 lbs)

You may have a good point there. I noticed it did get a little softer after about 2 hours of riding.

I going for another ride today again so I can do the first oil change. I'll take a screw driver with me so I can mess around with the suspension.