Decisions, decisions... (XR400 vs. XR600)

Okay...SM newbie here and I didn't find quite what I needed through search, so bear with me...

I have an opportunity to purchase a '96 XR600, fairly stock, for about $1600 or a '98 XR400 with 440 kit for about $3000. Neither is currently set up with SM parts. Both are street-legal and plated, but I'm having trouble deciding which would better suit my needs.

I'd like to be able to do my short commute on whatever I get if the SV1000s goes down for some reason. I need something that is (a) cheap to purchase and maintain, (:excuseme: a decent dirt bike and © loads of fun on a SuMo track day. I don't need "fancy" at this point - I need cheap fun.

From what I can tell, the differences in stock form are:

- the 400 wheelbase is 1.2" shorter

- the 400 weighs 16 pounds less

- the 600 makes about 12hp more (46 vs. 34)

The 600 mentioned above is really tempting because of the price, leaving more in the budget for the SM bits.

Do they really feel that different in the dirt? Will they handle very differently at the track? It seems that the wheelbase/weight advantage of the 400 is somewhat nullified by the power of the 600...or are they completely different?

I'm 6'1", 175 lbs. without gear, and my head hurts... :applause:

Yes becuase XR400 are for girls, just kidding. But think of it this way you are going to race supermoto against CRF 450s etc on a XR400?? You are going to be underpowered on a 600 but not nearly as bad as a 400. Also for a dual sport a 400 is really underpowered if you ask me, it just doesn't have the grunt like a 600 does. The only thing I could say about the 400's is it seems they have a higher resale value and are better on tight trails if any of that matters to you?? $1600 for a plated 96 XR600R in CA seems like a deal to me if its in good shape.

Yes becuase XR400 are for girls, just kidding. But think of it this way you are going to race supermoto against CRF 450s etc on a XR400?? You are going to be underpowered on a 600 but not nearly as bad as a 400. Also for a dual sport a 400 is really underpowered if you ask me, it just doesn't have the grunt like a 600 does. The only thing I could say about the 400's is it seems they have a higher resale value and are better on tight trails if any of that matters to you?? $1600 for a plated 96 XR600R in CA seems like a deal to me if its in good shape.

Man, I must be bad at this "communication" thing... :excuseme:

I never said anything about racing. ? I want a "fun" bike that's capable of hauling my slow ass around trails, forest roads and supermoto track days. I just bought a (California) house, so I can't afford to take my SV to the track at $400+ per day (fees, transpo, tires, hotel, etc.), but SuMo days are $25.

But I do appreciate your input. Seriously. :applause:

• 3 weeks later...