Repair or replace?

OK, thrown chain (exploded hub) flew into the shift shaft, jamming it downward and breaking the lower cases of my beloved '04 450f. Between my sobs I heard the mechanic say it will cost about $2500 to replace the cases, shift shaft, hub and wheel, chain, sprockets and that would include a complete bottom end rebuild. :thumbsup:

Do I repair my blue beauty or start shopping?

Get another '04 and it will be what, $3000? that way the spare parts you got laying around can be used on your new bike.

you can get an 04 in great shape around 3000 and ill buy your bike for?

Only you can really answer that. But, if it where mine, I'd fix it.

I have a 04 too!! You blew the rear hub up? were the spokes loose?

Cases are cheap since most blow the top ends up ... I would fix it.

> Buy used parts and fix it, or,

> Buy another complete '03-'05 and make one out of two

Those are your two lowest cost options. I would go for the second, or buy an '06. If nothing else, you'll have a spare wheel set, and the complete head in good shape is worth quite a lot.

I've seen entire engine/trannies on ebay for $1,000, but if it were me I'd part the bike out and buy an new(er) bike.

Like Gray says, you can get pretty good money for parts like the head, wheels, forks, shock, etc. As a matter of fact, I'm looking for a rear rotor, guard, footpegs, etc right now! My buddy could use the subframe if it is straight.

Edit: I guess your rear wheel isn't worth too much though...:thumbsup:

Ok, decided I love my '04 too much to junk it or part it out so I'm going to go ahead and have it repaired. Besides, I have really few hours on it (broken ankle recing TT a month after I got it and shoulder surgery racing MX last year cost me about a year of riding). Plus I just got the suspension dialed for me after tinkering for two years.

BTW - no, the spokes weren't loose, the hub just let go, the sprocket folded in half and the chain wedged itself into the cases at the shifter shaft.

Ok, decided I love my '04 too much to junk it or part it out so I'm going to go ahead and have it repaired. Besides, I have really few hours on it (broken ankle recing TT a month after I got it and shoulder surgery racing MX last year cost me about a year of riding). Plus I just got the suspension dialed for me after tinkering for two years.

BTW - no, the spokes weren't loose, the hub just let go, the sprocket folded in half and the chain wedged itself into the cases at the shifter shaft.

Man that sucks.:applause:

I think you could repair yours for less than $2500. The bearing on the output shaft blew apart on my '01 last fall and cracked the case. I got a complete bottom end from an '02 for $450 and a complete transmission for $25 on eBay and decided to put in the HotCams and a higher compression piston at the same time. It's running great now and I have a bunch of spare parts. Like it was stated earlier, top ends are expensive but almost everything else can be found for a reasonable price.