KTM fork guard install for DRZ400/S

Has anyone installed the KTM fork guards for the S model without cutting the light mounting bracket?

I hard there some people on TT that have done it this way, if anyone has any information on this mod please let me know?

Thanks, ?

Thanks smcalpac

This was were I got the parts list from but that thread is for the "E" model application, the "S" model is a different application. Perhaps you know he way around the mounting bracket on the "S" without cutting it, then welding it back?

I am not aware of anyway around doing the mods to the bracket. I have an E model with SM guards on it and currently on a 04 S frame with a plated 06 SM frame about to go into use, so mine is a conglomeration of parts. The cutting and welding isn't too bad to deal with.

After looking at mine, it looks as if you could ...maybe....install the guards under the lower fork clamp. With that said it would sit pretty low and may get hit if the forks compress on a hard hit.

Installed this way, they most likely would not fit as solid.

One person posted that he used a wire twisting tool to install his. I believe he must have cut the clamps off the KTM guards so that they would not hit the headlight mounts and then used the wire twisting tool to securely mount the guards to the fork.

There may well be a couple more good ideas floating around. If so I'd enjoy hearing them.

I'm the guy who cut off the KTM guard bolt/screw bosses and instead used a Clamptite tool to wire clamp them to the forks:

http://www.clamptitetools.com/

Its worked great, probably stronger than the original plastic clamps. I don't weld or have a welder so I gave this a shot. You could probably use a hose clamp or something else if you didn't mind the look.

KTMwireClamps.jpg

I'm the guy who cut off the KTM guard bolt/screw bosses and instead used a Clamptite tool to wire clamp them to the forks:

http://www.clamptitetools.com/

Its worked great, probably stronger than the original plastic clamps. I don't weld or have a welder so I gave this a shot. You could probably use a hose clamp or something else if you didn't mind the look.

Now that's the info and picture I was looking for, thanks gpdsign ?

I'm going to give that a try....:worthy:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
The fork guards look great. How do you like them so far?

I like them. I think they look better than the stock rubber things, so far the fork tubes are undamaged so they must be doing their job. I do put on some seal savers when I go dirt bikin' which is most of the time.

Check out post #2:

50301090250 Clamp protector guide '98

5460139000030 Fork protection guide R/S '97

5460129000030 Fork protection guide L/S '97

another 50301090250 Clamp protector guide '98

Middle

50301093000 Fork protector R/S black '97

Bottom

50301092000 Fork protector L/S black '97

all are from KTM 250EXC bikes.