Non-Likely Rider

Hey Guys and Gals, Im 6'2" 305/lbs and I bought a '03 YZ450..I know ya'll are saying DAAANNNNGG, stay off the Little Debbies! But seriously, Im a ex Arena football player so all of it aint chubbiness..lol..My question is how do I get the bike set up for my size? Is it Possible? any suggestions?(besides dieting?) actually I am a speed nut and love this bike. I have a 200 acre tract of land that I ride on and actually jump it a lil bit...Am I too heavy for this bike?

all suggestions will be greatly aprreciated!!!!!! thanks, -Tank from S.C.

Thanks!! I just worry about it squattin' when I put my butt on it!

Sorry I guess I didn't answer your question. Companies like Eibach do make stiffer springs. In the meantime you can stiffen the rear spring by loosing the top ring on the top of the shock/spring assembly and turning the 2nd ring counter clockwise. There is only so much you can turn it before it negatively affects the action of the spring.

Check the banner adds at the top of each page. Every once in a while, there is one for the "Spring Maker" or something like that. I have a friend, who is about you size, who ordered custom springs for his weight from them and it made a WORLD of difference!! I don't know if the other guys (Eibach, Factory Connection, etc) make extra heavy springs that are outside of their norm, but you could try them as well. I know there is a guy from Eibach that frequents the Suspension Forum. Good luck and when you finish building the track on that 200 acres, I think a TT Day Ride is in order!! ?

Take your bike to a local suspension tuner. He'll know exactly what to do and where to get the appropriate parts. Easy as .....pie.

+1

Or send the forks and shock to a reputable shop (Factory Connection, Pro-Circuit, RG3, etc) if they don't have springs, they know where to get 'em. There will probably also be some valving changes that need to be made.

On a side note, I (155lb) rode my 300+lb friend's ktm 525 in Moab after he had it revalved and resprung. lol, that thing was like a rock to me. Works great for him though. ?

I also suggest you look at getting some tall seat foam for the seat - Guts Racing and a few others sell it. This will help your butt/body absorb better on jumps and bumps - Density is from firm to soft and the stock YZ450 seat - for that year did not have much foam causing some sore @$$'es.....?

check out Cannon Racecraft - they will make springs in the rate you need for your weight. Had them make me fork springs for my DRZ SM before any were out on the market. To calculate the rate you need, go to Racetech.com and use their spring rate calculator based on your bike, the type of riding you do, and your weight.

Im 6'9" 220 former college basketball player, try ridding motocross at 6'9". I had an 03 yz450f before I bought my new 06 and the 03 is a monster, I loved that bike, just re spring your suspension and you should be fine as that 03 has plenty of power to hall your ass around.

I am 265lbs now, but was pushing 300 when I set up my 06. My best friend is a little over 300 as well and rides an 04 WR 450. I was able to get both the front and rear springs from race tech. He got his front springs from Cannon and his rear spring from Race Tech. He also did gold valves. We both had our local suspension guy set them up for us. While they are not 'works' they are very good and have made an absolutely huge difference in our riding. I rode for a year and a half on stock WR suspension before I got my YZ, I just cant believe the improvement. :applause: