HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bg10459

Dual Sport Wiring Question

4 posts in this topic

I just bought a K&S control switch (12-0040) to D/S my '03 WR450. After searching, it seems that there is one power input to the switch for the headlights and tail light/brake, and another for turn signals. I would rather not convert the bike to all DC, instead, I want to run the headlights and tail light on AC and everything else on DC.

Does anyone see any problems running both AC and DC in this switch?

Has anyone had any problems running the 55w AC headlight through the switch which is supposed to be good for only 23w?

Will it be OK to keep the tail/brake light on AC?

Will there be any problems between the AC and DC grounds?

Thanks in advance.:thumbsup:

Basically it's not a good idea. When I did my WR I used a relay controlled by DC from the switch just to keep things isolated. If you want PM me with an email address and I'll send you the schematic.

what exactly did you buy to get signals etc on the wr? could you just buy the signals and wire it into the brake light head light etc, just trying to get around spending 400 on a baja kit, thanks

Basically it's not a good idea. When I did my WR I used a relay controlled by DC from the switch just to keep things isolated. If you want PM me with an email address and I'll send you the schematic.
:thumbsup:
what exactly did you buy to get signals etc on the wr? could you just buy the signals and wire it into the brake light head light etc, just trying to get around spending 400 on a baja kit, thanks
I bought 4 signals off ebay and fabricated some mounts. I'll probably switch to flush mounts in the rear because my fender is shot anyway. I'm not sure what's the best way to wire everything up, but this is the way around spending $400 on a kit.