HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
prockish17

Rear shock oil change?

12 posts in this topic

Does anybody do this task often. It seems very difficult, I always do the front but the back never gets done. How concerned should I be?

Does anybody do this task often. It seems very difficult, I always do the front but the back never gets done. How concerned should I be?

It's not difficult. First time I did it, about 25 yrs. ago, I followed the procedure in the manual, took me a while, but I got it done, gets easier the next time. I couldn't find anyone close to do the nitrogen charge, so I bought a bottle of Nitrogen and a set of guages, they paid for themselves on the 3rd job.

How old is the bike and when was the last time you had the oil changed?

I had the shocks done in summer of 2002. Since then I havn't touched the rear shocks outside of setting preload occasionaly.

5 years i would get it changed for sure that could be why its not performing like it used to I would get it done

It's not difficult. First time I did it, about 25 yrs. ago, I followed the procedure in the manual, took me a while, but I got it done, gets easier the next time. I couldn't find anyone close to do the nitrogen charge, so I bought a bottle of Nitrogen and a set of guages, they paid for themselves on the 3rd job.

creeky, what bike & year? Does pressure higher or lower 25 lbs make any difference?

creeky, what bike & year? Does pressure higher or lower 25 lbs make any difference?

I have serviced XR250, 350, 400 and 600 shocks and a White Power Super Adjuster I had on an XR628. I don't know if a pressure difference is an issue or not, I always tried to get the pressure as close as possible to what the manual specifies, never experimented with it.

Stock shock pressure is about 140psi. Almost all shops will install 180~200psi. The seal has to have pressure to do it's job. There is good reasons to change the pressure. The upper limit of pressure is 300psi but, after about 220~240psi stictation is an issue. The "never mess with it" is not true but, do not use air in place of Nitrogen! Some use the rule of thumb of you weight as the pressure installed but, that is not always a good rule (some thumbs are bigger then others:crazy: )

my manual says 170 & shock rebuilder says he always puts in 140 max. . I weigh 300 lbs & wandered if I need to be in the higher range. but maybe it makes no difference. I dunno? how long do those bladders last? are they specific to bike? will they ever be obsolete when I need one?

my manual says 170 & shock rebuilder says he always puts in 140 max. . I weigh 300 lbs & wandered if I need to be in the higher range. but maybe it makes no difference. I dunno? how long do those bladders last? are they specific to bike? will they ever be obsolete when I need one?

Am I talking about the wrong bike? I thought this was a XR650R? Page 15-21 of the XR650R manual it states "File reservoir with 981 kPa (10.0 kgf/cm2, 142psi ) of Nitrogen gas."